Visual Arts as a 7th Subject?

Andyboi

Ok so if i do take visual arts as a 7th subject, probably SL, i would only have to go to the art teacher during my free periods (2 or 3 of them) and possibly, but not likely, have to go before school like once or twice a week to turn in my work. I'm really interested in Art but i have to take chinese instead :( so, even though i don't wish to continue art to university, would it be an extremely bad choice to take it as a 7th subject?

I completely understand your situation. I would advise that you stick to your 6 IB subjects as they are actually demanding and require millions of workload. As a past IB visual arts SL student who went through the course, it is a subject that requires a lot of time for studio work and other lots of times for planning your pieces and keeping a good track of your theme. I personally would not stick to it, but the final veredict is on you. Plus, IB visual arts is a difficult subject to score high marks in, say 6 or 7. Anyway, an alternative option could be that you stick to an art/painting or design course as an extracurricular activity for CAS. I'm sure your school must have an art club or any other center near where you live must offer art courses. Believe me, in IB visual arts you will work with pressure because of your marks and number of artworks, but in a regular art course you will work at a slower and calmer pace. I hope I helped, and remember that the final decision is on you! :D

I take visual arts as a 7th subject, and I don't recommend taking it at all unless you love the subject and feel that you would die without it. It's an EXTREMELY TIME CONSUMING SUBJECT and will leave you with little time for anything else. It requires complete dedication on your part which means you'll be working at home more than in class ( I spend about 2-3 hours at home for every hour in school), and even then you can't be sure whether your examiner will like your work since it's very subjective( although the examiners try not to be).

On the other hand, if you truly have the passion for it and love art to your dying breath, go ahead. It isn't impossible. If you have excellent time management skills, it wont be a problem. But make sure you do other subjects too, my predicted fell from 41-42 to 39-40 because I spent too much time on art :(

I don't know how you'll cope, but I recommend you join the class. If you like it, stick to it, if you don't, drop it!