Studying for Bio

Bert Macklin FBI

I was thinking that since most of Bio. is terms that I would flashcards for the terms as well as the questions in the syllabus. Sorry if this sounds completely stupid but I was wondering what people did to make their flashcards standout (e.g. simple concise definitions, color, diagrams) because I'm gonna be coming back to terms that I learned now at the beginning of Bio when I'm taking the exam in 2 years. :blink:

Also, for any of you IB graduates, would you recommend forming notes from a textbook or strictly using the syllabus to make sure you know everything because the textbook we use, C.J Clegg, sees pretty comprehensive

Appreciate any help :)

I take IB Biology HL too (I'm in my second year) and although I really don't use flashcards (it's a great idea though!), one tool I use that really helps me is the IB Bio Wikibook online. It outlines each topic in the IB Bio curriculum in great detail and it's super helpful:).

Thanks for the tip. I checked the site and its great so thank you so much for that. :)

• 1 month later...

I use Quizlet.com to keep all my flashcards in order (there are premade sets you can use or you can make your own - and you can even add pics!) and then click4biology.com to do some consise-ish review.It does a pretty good job of explaining the assessment statements. I'm currently in HL Bio Yr. 2 - so I haven't taken the exams yet, but I've already started revising.

I know this sounds really long and annoying to do but I got a three prong binder, and wrote/drew out all the assessment statements. I'm one of those people who are visual-tactile learners, so I need to write things out. (That's sorta off topic, but once I finish the book, I'm scanning all the pages and uploading them here so you guys can use them!)

Guest Animistic Anaemia

ummm I just memorise the Andrew Allot Biology Study Guide... which is kind of helpful? lol but I don't disagree that it's a good idea though I'd recommend more having a synthesis of each syllabus topic in one page, using diagrams, definitions and all. That way, you'll know the key stuff ;)

Andrew Allot Biology Study Guide (as mentioned above) was extremely helpful to me because it went exactly with the syllabus, so no extra information was there.. I used it with the syllabus throughout the two years. As for studying for bio, if you are certain you can keep the flashcards up throughout the two years, go ahead. However if you are going t make flashcards for some topics and normal notes for others it sound a bit messy to me. Besides I think some things wont be easily put into flashcards, you are still in IB1 so the amount is not big yet. Later on in IB2 there are going to be things you just can't put into flash cards. Making normal yet clear notes isn't bad either. My notebook went with the syllabus point by point so when I was studying I knew I just had to know what's in the notebook and double check with the syllabus.

In the syllabus there are obj 1,2 and 3 points. 1 and 2 are normally short and can be easily put into flashcards. For example all the 'Define', 'Outline', 'Describe'..etc. It's a very good idea having all your definition in flash cards, makes memorizing a lot easier. Obj 3 points are normally pretty detailed as they are terms like "Explain", so unless you're going to fill the flash card with words, you wont be able to fit it. So basically, if I were you: Definition and basics outlines in flash cards. Processes and Detailed explanations written out clearly in A4 papers.

Then again, they're your notes, so I am just giving my opinion. :)

I am currently in IB Bio HL. I don't usually have flash card but I do make organizer for important stuff like protein synthesis or the digestive system in which the picture will aid in my learning.

One of thing that I suggested you do is to read over the unit that you went over in school that day. Also take your learning outcome out and make sure you have full-awareness of the thing that is required in your learning outcome.