Columbia University In NYC - IB and SAT requirements!

IloveIB!

In the USA IB scores aren't as important for determining admissions to universities like they are in other places like the UK for example. They're more of a way to earn credits. On the Columbia website it says there are no minimum scores one must earn to get admitted. If you are accepted to Columbia they will use your IB scores to determine placement and award credit to you.

As for SAT scores, there is no official cutoff. However, the middle 50 percent that applied had SAT scores of 2100-2330. So of the people that were accepted, 50% had scores in that range, 25% had scores higher than that, and 25% had scores lower than that. Aim for the middle 50% when you go to take your SAT. :)

In the USA IB scores aren't as important for determining admissions to universities like they are in other places like the UK for example. They're more of a way to earn credits. On the Columbia website it says there are no minimum scores one must earn to get admitted. If you are accepted to Columbia they will use your IB scores to determine placement and award credit to you.

As for SAT scores, there is no official cutoff. However, the middle 50 percent that applied had SAT scores of 2100-2330. So of the people that were accepted, 50% had scores in that range, 25% had scores higher than that, and 25% had scores lower than that. Aim for the middle 50% when you go to take your SAT. :)

Okay, when would you advise to start applying? :)

Columbia's final application deadline is January 1 to be able to attend in the fall. Since your exams are in May 2013, I am assuming you will want to enter Columbia in Fall 2013. If you want to take a gap year then you'd probably enter in Fall 2014 instead. Either way, you'll want to have your application done by November-December 2012 (no gap year) or November-December 2013 (gap year) so that you can get it sent off in time with all of the required materials. It's good to start as early as possible so you can re-take the SAT if you do poorly, have time to write and edit your essays, and get all of your forms done. Just make sure your ENTIRE application is sent to Columbia by the January 1 deadline of the year you plan to attend. Decision letters are sent out in March-April. Good luck :)

Columbia's final application deadline is January 1 to be able to attend in the fall. Since your exams are in May 2013, I am assuming you will want to enter Columbia in Fall 2013. If you want to take a gap year then you'd probably enter in Fall 2014 instead. Either way, you'll want to have your application done by November-December 2012 (no gap year) or November-December 2013 (gap year) so that you can get it sent off in time with all of the required materials. It's good to start as early as possible so you can re-take the SAT if you do poorly, have time to write and edit your essays, and get all of your forms done. Just make sure your ENTIRE application is sent to Columbia by the January 1 deadline of the year you plan to attend. Decision letters are sent out in March-April. Good luck :)

Awrights :D Thanks for your help!

Its a wonderfull school with great diversity. Some people say that their a lot of High Society stuck up people, but hey which college doesn't?

If you can travel to NYC over this winter...then a campus tour is worth it.

Its a wonderfull school with great diversity. Some people say that their a lot of High Society stuck up people, but hey which college doesn't?

If you can travel to NYC over this winter...then a campus tour is worth it.

The campus tour is actually good idea, I think. One of my friends from US went to visit Columbia (it might have been on some kind of an open day, I'm not sure) and she simply detested it (despite loving NYC itself) and said she would never go there, ever. And it's worth looking at their website, to be honest, they have a really bizarre curriculum. ;)

• 2 months later...

hey, I was just wondering about Columbia Law School but I couldn't find the subjects you need to take on your exams or sth like that. Do you think that Maths studies instead of SL would be unacceptable there?

Actually, Law School is postgraduate in USA, so you'll have to go through a 4-year college first, before applying to Law School. :)