Writing Strong Notes

Bert Macklin FBI

I feel like an idiot asking this but I'm having my first Bio test on Thursday so I being particularly OCD about my notes :P

I can't seem to write good notes whereas last year, not to brag, but my notes were perfect.

The problem for me is every time I leave something out while writing my notes I keep thinking about whether its going to come up in 2 years and I won't have studied it and its really making me procrastinate. Stupid, I know.

But at the same time, I dont want to include a mass of info that I'm not gonna need so I was wondering whether I could get some advice from anybody. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bert Macklin FBI

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend going through the syllabus point by point, and writing all that you'd need to know from that. For example, for 'state' points you really don't need any more information than it says, so don't go writing a paragraph explaining why, because it's unnecessary!

Also, find mark schemes for past papers, and see what the examiners have required for certain questions. This helps for some of the more 'foggy' questions, where it's not entirely clear what they want for an answer. If you put these all in your notes, they'll be great!

• Like 1

http://click4biology.info/

this^

write your notes using the dot points from the syllabus, that way you know you haven't missed anything vital.

In my HL textbook it also has syllabus statements, which are different to the statements on the given website?

How come and which ones are correct for the course which ends 2013?

Ignore random internet websites and textbooks. Trust only the version which you know 100% is also the one the IB are using - i.e. the actual syllabus. I printed off a copy (do it at school so you don't use up all your paper...) and went through as I revised literally ticking them off one by one. Textbooks and online stuff are always a bit iffy, although some (esp. Allot and Allot Course Companion for Biology) really are pretty spot on the syllabus points. Some (Pearson...) have a load of random waffle that you don't want to waste your time learning, although otherwise it's got decent explanations.

You can find it in the Files section free to download: Biology (2009)

• Like 1

http://click4biology.info/

this^

write your notes using the dot points from the syllabus, that way you know you haven't missed anything vital.

In my HL textbook it also has syllabus statements, which are different to the statements on the given website?

How come and which ones are correct for the course which ends 2013?

As far as I know this is for the syllabus that started in 2009. It follows the syllabus dot point by dot point with exact assessment statements from that syllabus but perhaps bio has changed for '13?

If that's the case ignore it and just use your syllabus to write notes.