Medicine HELP

timmotytimmoty

I want to study medicine, and still looking for unis, it's so complicated, I'm already the last year student, is there any possibility to get to medicine in any uni in the world without any admission tests, only good grade.

I would like to point out that it is not possible for me to apply UK university, because I don't belong to UE resident, and most of schools only accept 5-10 International students, moreover, most of them need UKCAT and BMAT, thirdly, for international students the annual fee is between £19,000-32,000 O_o, apparently is too much. Furthermore, I would exclude US, since I will have to take SAT.

I would really appreciate any help, because I'm really in trouble.. I'm looking for medicine in english (not necessarily english speaking countries), with Scholarships or relatively cheap, and accept IB Diploma.

It'd be pretty far away, but UBC (The University of British Columbia) accepts a ton of international students compared to many, and also loves diploma kids, they even came to our school to recruit (we only had 10 kids in it that year). They have some fantastic medicine programs, I'm trying to go there on scholarship (crossing my fingers).

Good luck, hope you find somewhere.

Hm... Ireland? Royal College of Surgeons, my insurance choice for next fall application. But I don't know about fees for non EU students... For EU it's for free I guess or similiar to UK. But still, you need to sit a test.

Just good grades are not enough to most unis. I had the problem with finding any university in Europe with Medicine in English. I looked for it in Holland (need to know Deutsch) and Scandinavian countries (again - mostly you have to know their own language and also you need to take Physics, so bad choice, for me at least).

In Cracow there is a Medicine in English but it's expensive, don't remember how much cause I don't wanna stay in Poland so I checked it just because I was curious.

In Lublin we have a nice med school, there is a med course in English and it's not that expensive. I think most med schools in Poland have some kind of a course in English, you should check, if you don't mind staying in Poland for extra 6 years (I guess you're not Polish since you're saying that you're not an EU citizen). :)

It'd be pretty far away, but UBC (The University of British Columbia) accepts a ton of international students compared to many, and also loves diploma kids, they even came to our school to recruit (we only had 10 kids in it that year). They have some fantastic medicine programs, I'm trying to go there on scholarship (crossing my fingers).

Good luck, hope you find somewhere.

Thank you for your advice, unfortunately, UBC does not accept international students.

In Lublin we have a nice med school, there is a med course in English and it's not that expensive. I think most med schools in Poland have some kind of a course in English, you should check, if you don't mind staying in Poland for extra 6 years (I guess you're not Polish since you're saying that you're not an EU citizen). smile.gif

I lived in Warsaw for 5 years, and it's like dream come true to leave here, and look for a new collage life. smile.gif My last option is stay in Warsaw smile.gif

In Lublin we have a nice med school, there is a med course in English and it's not that expensive. I think most med schools in Poland have some kind of a course in English, you should check, if you don't mind staying in Poland for extra 6 years (I guess you're not Polish since you're saying that you're not an EU citizen). :)

I lived in Warsaw for 5 years, and it's like dream come true to leave here, and look for a new collage life. :) My last option is stay in Warsaw :)

Well, I don't get it since I like Warsaw a lot but if you don't like Warsaw, come to Lublin, or Gdansk, or wherever else. You might have heard that unis in Lublin are not the best in the world (which is true, in general) but our med school really is top notch. :D So I think, if you want/can stay in Poland, it can be a nice place to live, really, it's quiet, peaceful, there are nice people here and LOTS of foreign students, really, sometimes if you go to the city centre it's hard to hear any Polish. :D

• 1 month later...

Timmoty. I'm not sure how the medicine programs work in Poland, but in Canada and the US you must first complete an undergraduate degree before you can enter medical school for an MD. You mentioned UBC does not accept international students, that is incorrect. UBC does not accept international students for it's medical school, but you are not applying to its medical school, you are applying for an undergraduate degree--where they do accept international school. Please excuse me if you already have an undergraduate degree, but I'm just assuming you're still in high school since your IB exam dates are set for May 2012.

I'd recommend Canada since we have an affordable price range and some great science programs and medical schools you can later go into. Let me make this clear once again: You CANNOT go into medical school right out of high school in the US and Canada. You must first complete an undergraduate degree. Stop looking at the information of medical schools and look at the science programs of American or Canadian universities.

For scholarships and admissions, UBC is your best choice. They love IB students and I've never heard of anyone getting rejected from there (it's very easy). You could also just try going into a smaller Canadian university, completing your undergrad degree there and then doing medical school in some other university. Other than UBC, you should consider the University of Alberta or the University of Calgary. I know that you should be able to get a scholarship for Calgary very easily if you have good grades (38+). If you have grades lower than 36, it'll be difficult for you to get a scholarship--especially since you're not a Canadian citizen.

• 1 year later...

Melbourne University, Australia

No tests for undergraduate bio medicine degree and you need a score of 37 I think

Google it :):google:

That's true but after the bio medicine degree you must sit the GAMSAT and there is no guarantee that you'll ace that and land into the MD program at Melbourne... I must mention Melbourne is among the most prestigious medical universities in Australia and hence it is not that easy to get entry into MD as they also look at your GPA and conduct an interview as well.

No tests for undergraduate bio medicine degree and you need a score of 37 I think

That's true but after the bio medicine degree you must sit the GAMSAT and there is no guarantee that you'll ace that and land into the MD program at Melbourne... I must mention Melbourne is among the most prestigious medical universities in Australia and hence it is not that easy to get entry into MD as they also look at your GPA and conduct an interview as well.

Well my careers teacher and melbourne uni reps said that if you perform well enough to get a post-grad scholarship, you get a direct entry, without doing GAMSAT or GMAT in Australia. Also, doing a undergrad degree at melbourne uni gives you a reasonably big advantage. Also, I think after getting an initial degree, not many unis would want another test done to get into the post-grad courses, especially if you do well.

Well my careers teacher and melbourne uni reps said that if you perform well enough to get a post-grad scholarship, you get a direct entry, without doing GAMSAT or GMAT in Australia. Also, doing a undergrad degree at melbourne uni gives you a reasonably big advantage. Also, I think after getting an initial degree, not many unis would want another test done to get into the post-grad courses, especially if you do well.

if you get an ATAR 99.90 + (IB 45) then you'll be guaranteed a place in the MD via the Scholar's program. Otherwise, you must sit the GAMSAT... just saying :)

• Like 1

if you get an ATAR 99.90 + (IB 45) then you'll be guaranteed a place in the MD via the Scholar's program. Otherwise, you must sit the GAMSAT... just saying :)

That or if you do well in the Biomedicine thing

The uni reps can't lie to students in a specifically orientated seminar mate

alright i trust you, calm down LOL

alright i trust you, calm down LOL

:D I get agitated very quickly during exam days!

It is extremely competitive here at UniMelb biomedicine. You have 450+ students in biomedicine and hundreds more in science as well as hundreds more in other universities vying for 165 commonwealth supported places in the MD (165 other full-fee places for domestic and international students, but that's bloody expensive). Be prepared to work your ass off for your GPA and GAMSAT in order to secure an interview. Alternatively, you can study hard now and get 45 so you don't need to do any of that hard work in uni. :)

Once again, a biomedicine degree is not a medical degree, it is a glorified medical science degree.

Edited by Hus
  • Like 1

It is extremely competitive here at UniMelb biomedicine. You have 450+ students in biomedicine and hundreds more in science as well as hundreds more in other universities vying for 165 commonwealth supported places in the MD (165 other full-fee places for domestic and international students, but that's bloody expensive). Be prepared to work your ass off for your GPA and GAMSAT in order to secure an interview. Alternatively, you can study hard now and get 45 so you don't need to do any of that hard work in uni. :)

Once again, a biomedicine degree is not a medical degree, it is a glorified medical science degree.

Really do you go there? That's amazing!! There was a time when I really wanted to get into medicine (at the start of the year) and into biomedicine there, but then I just gave up on the idea after I fainted during a blood test and decided I was too insensitive to be a doctor. Anyways I just want to say you are such a smart awesome person! :D Hope you continue doing well :)

@timmotytimmoty

Yeah work hard and get a 45, all your future hard work will be saved, but if you do want to be a doctor, be prepared to put in the extra yards :)

Edited by cricketcrazynerd

Agreed! And depending on why you want to do Medicine in the first place, in my opinion Biomedicine is like all the worst bits of a Medical degree taken and channeled into one course. All the awful bits without any of the clinical relevance.

Graduate entry is actually much harder and more competitive than entry for school leavers because there are still a lot of people wanting to do it (also it's quite hard, actually, to get a 1st in your degree - and you really need a 1st to stand a chance of getting into graduate entry medicine!) and hardly any places available for them compared to on the school entry course. It's certainly easier to do well at school and get in straight from there.