Inappropriate Topics?

IB Needin Help

As long as it is a thorough and serious investigation, you can choose any topic for your extended essay. Your IBC as well as your instructor must approve your topic. For example you can investigate the cultural issues associated with marijuana in a Social and Cultural Anthropology EE or in a Group 2 EE. You can also embark an investigation in the drug market, per say for an EE in Business and Management or Economics.

• 1 month later...

Your supervisor or IB co-ordinator would most likely tell you if your topic would be considered inappropriate - one girl in my class had to change hers after the IBC told her that it was inappropriate. If you're worried about it you should probably ask one of them, as they'll know for sure.

The IB decides what 'inappropriate' in avery broad sense. One of the girls a few years senior to me was the only person in her year to get an A in her EE in English. Her essay focussed on analysing phallic imagery in various (what I like to refer to) 'trashy' novels with questionable literary merit. She made sure that she didn't pick anything that was exclusively 'erotic' or 'smut,' but she did focus on the more heavily lustful romances available in bookstores. It was an essay that was just on the borderline of being inappropriate, but it worked.