Music: El Salon Mexico & Jupiter - Sample Questions

lovethatdog4

Hey guys,

I managed to get some sample questions for Section A of the Listening Paper from my teacher so I thought I'd share since there are barely any resources available online and stuff. These questions are for Mozart's Jupiter Symphony and Copland's El Salon Mexico.

Good luck!

EL SALON MEXICO.

1. Outlike the structure of El Salon Mexico. Make specific reference to the score, using bar numbers and instrument names to make your answer clear.
  2. Copland used many folk melodies in El Salon Mexico. Discuss the way in which the structure of the work is woven around these melodies.
  3. Copland draws on elements from traditional Mexican folk songs as well as early 20th century European compositional techniques. Demonstrate and discuss how Copland integrates these musical cultures.
  4. Copland integrated many rhythmic and melodic folk elements in El Salon Mexico. Discuss this statement with specific reference to the score.
  5. Identify two or more musical elements that have roots in traditional Mexican music. Demonstrate and discuss how these musical elements contribute to create the work's overall style.
  6. How has Copland incorporated Mexican folk music into his work?
  7. Is Copland an example of orchestra fusion? Discuss in relation to his use of folk elements in his work.
  8. In El Salon Mexico, identify two (or more) musical elements that have roots in folk music.
  9. Identify three rhythmic techniques that originate in the 20th century. Demonstrate and discuss how these techniques contribute to the overall style and the musical argument of El Salon Mexico.
  10. Identify two features of the music that have roots in Mexican folk music and two that originate from other cultures. Demonstrate and discuss how these musical elements contribute to the work's overall style.
  11. Demonstrate and discuss how the orchestration of El Salon Mexico contributes to clarifying the structure of the work and establishing its character.
  12. Demonstrate and discuss how successful Copland was in reconciling 20th century harmonic developments with tonal conventions of the past in El Salon Mexico.
  13. Describe some passages in El Salon Mexico which show Copland's use of 20th century characteristics. Your answer should include specific references rather than generalities.
  14. How does Copland express the idea of the title of the work, El Salon Mexico? Your answer should include specific references rather than generalities.
  15. El Salon Mexico is considered a 20th century composition. Using specific examples from the score discuss why it is 20th century.
  16. How does Copland unify El Salon Mexico? Use specific musical examples from the score to justify your response.
  17. Locate in the score and describe four musical features from this extract (choose section) that you consider to be characteristic of Copland's compositional style.
  18. Describe the significant structural features of this extract (choose section) in terms of melodic countour, rhythmic movement, use of instruments in the orchestra, and issues regarding style.
  19. Analyse in detail the musical features found in this extract (choose section) which place this work in the 20th century. Support your arguments with clear reference to the score. These arguments may include (but are not limited to) coments on structure, harmony, melody, rhythm and orchestration.
  20. Copland's use of rhythmic devices is considered to be highly sophisticated. Discussion may include (but are not limited to) comments on syncopation, additive rhythms, regular and irregular patterns in different metres and his use of polyrhythms.

JUPITER.

1. How does Mozart create formal unity in the first movement of Jupiter? Refer specifically to structural, tonal and thematic components.
  2. How does Mozart's Jupiter represent the essential features of Classicism?
  3. Outline the structure of the first movement of Mozart's Jupiter - make reference to the score, using bar numbers and instrument names to make your answer clear.
  4. Mozart is considered the epitome of the Classical era. Discuss this in relation to his use of form.
  5. Mozart's Jupiter symphony is considered a Classical composition. Using specific examples from the score, discuss why it is representative of the Classical era.
  6. How does Mozart create formal unity within the first movement of Jupiter? Refer specifically to structural, thematic and tonal aspects.
  7. Mozart, the great innovator. Discuss this in relation to the Jupiter symphony and his innovation in such aspects as form.
  8. How does Mozart unify his Jupiter symphony? Use specific musical examples from the score to justify your response.
  9. Locate in the score and describe four musical features from this extract (choose section) that you consider to be characteristic of Mozart's compositional style.
  10. Describe the significant structural features of this extract (choose section) win terms of melodic contour, rhythmic movement, use of instruments in the orchestra, and issues regarding style.
  11. Analyse in detail the musical features found in this extract (choose section) which place this work in the Classical era. Support your arguments with clear references to the score. These arguments may include (but are not limited to) comments on structure, harmony, melody, rhythm and orchestration.

COMPARISON QUESTIONS.

1. Investigate significant musical links between the two pieces by analysing and comparing and contrasting one of these:
    a) Tone color/timbre and melody
    b) Handling of harmony and tonality
    c) Handling of rhythm and phrasing
    d) Handling of structure
  2. Compare and contrast the use of rhythms and melody in Mozart's Jupiter (first movement) and Copland's El Salon Mexico. Make specific reference to the score, using bar numbers and instrument names to make your answer clear.
  3. Compare the use of rhythm in Copland and Mozart looking at two similarities and two differences. Specific examples should be given from the score to justify your comments.
  4. Compare the use of tonality throughout both pieces. Look at the keys used, the relationship between the keys, frequency of modulations and any other significant issues in either piece. Specific examples should be given from the score to justify your comments.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Whoa, sorry for my month late reply my friend. I haven't checked my notifications (I don't see them!!)

Anyway, I find that my teacher isn't really "teaching" material. It's easy for her... she sees the connections so clearly. Us, on the other hand, we're just starting out. We're still LEARNING.

But anyway.... we've listened to the piece a few times and we've marked the main themes. My teacher pulls stuff off of the internet a lot. It's also hard, sometimes, because there aren't very many french materials out there, and that's the language that we're being taught in. I don't know much of the music terminology in french, either.

My teacher would also babble really quickly (because of the lack of time that we have) about some minute things. She would mention like "there's a cadence here at measure X", but she would not provide an explanation. We've asked her several times to stop and give us an explanation, or like phrase it in such a way that we could use it in our IB exam or something, for practice, but it's not really working out for us.

Anything else you guys are doing, URA BOAT?

well i dont know what to tell you? im sorry!!!

our school is doing ib for the first year and the teachers are babysitting us. we have two teachers to the class and one is teaching the theory ahd the other one is teaching the history, so we alternate between them with the first and second years!!!

we got this web site...http://roydslanguage...0/02/index.html....im sorry its not in franch but you still can learn alot from it....just look around their are many things that will help you with jupiter...i downloaded the sound clips and you can then replay them as much as you want!!!

Edited by URA BOAT

• 4 months later...