Math hl options.

syedadilahmd7

Hey guys. So i'm in IB math hl and we had to decide our options. Majority of the class took Stats and prob. I wanted to do discrete mathematics but my teacher said she's not gonna let any one do any option but stats or series & d.e. So i was hoping that you guys could give me a clear idea of what all the options are like. Perhaps share what option you are doing and how you are finding it. Personally, i find stats really crappy. Anyway, tell me what you all think. Also is it possible for someone to do an option themselves if the teacher is not ready to teach it?

When it comes to the Math HL options I'd say go with what your teacher says. I did series and differential equations and I sincerely enjoyed the option, but it was the one my teacher would teach anyway. What you should know is that EVERY math HL option is extremely challenging. It is, after all, further maths syllabus so if I were you, I'd stick with my teacher. She obviously knows these two options well and you will certainly need her help at some point. Unless you are a math prodigy. Then I'd say go for whatever you want. You should know that discrete mathematics are really really hard. I am not saying that the other options aren't, but if you do discrete mathematics by yourself, you would need to devote a lot of your spare time and the result will still be uncertain (and confidence during your math HL exam is vital). Also, I am pretty sure that you can do a different option but you should know that the math p3 is nothing like the options in the group 4 subjects. You would have to declare to the IBO which option you will be doing when you register for the final exams so that they can send a paper of this option specifically for you. As a result, if you change your mind like a month or two before your exams, there is nothing you can do.

Since your teacher is capable of teaching the series and differential equations option, then do it. You will save yourself a lot of time (which you will need for your other 5 subjects). Anyways, good luck with it and if you have any other questions feel free to even pm me :)

• Like 3