Doing two A1 languages at HL

glorii

Hello!

I need your opinion on something, as it is about to change my entire IB diploma. I am a May 2013 candidate, and so far I have English A1 SL and Norwegian A1 HL. But I am considering to do both at HL... And the reason for such a decision is that I am really struggling in Biology HL, and I want to take it down... I find it hard, I am not motivated and I know it will bring down my overall score. However, I love languages, I love to read, analyze and write commentaries. I know that two HL languages A1 (literature) will be a lot of work, but at least I am doing something I LOVE at HL. I also do HL History. So yeah, A LOT of reading, a LOT of writing!

What do you think? Will this be achievable? So far, I have only 7s and 6s in my A1s, whilst in Bio, the results are not as high. But is it better to balance my subject choices with doing Bio HL? Do you think I can manage all the writing and reading? My SL subjects will be very light though; Bio, Spanish and Maths studies. P

lease, write whatever you think, I really need some input, as I find the choice really hard, and I have to decide NOW! (due to the fact that the biology courses are very different.) Thank you!

• Like 1

I would switch English to HL if I were you. You say that you enjoy literature and analyzing, plus biology SL has much less material than HL. This will make biology a lot easier for you, plus you'll get to do more of something you enjoy. Plus, switching a language to HL isn't too hard, you just have to write an extra world lit paper and read 3 or 4 more works. You'll get more lesson time in your English HL class so that should give you some extra time.

• 2 weeks later...