Psychology IA

Sam :)

[quote name=Sam :)' timestamp='1319750518' post='136632]

In my school, so few students take SL Psychology that they are mixed into the HL classes. Is there a rule against working with them on IA's? Or do I have to stick with HL students?

There is no rule, often HL and SL are mixed because there is considerable overlap. There are a few differences between the HL and SL IA but none of the differences prevent you from doing the same study as them. The difference is HL will have to write more and perform inferential stats. You could easily do the stroop or eyewitness testimony experiments with an SL student, the write-up and statistical analysis would just be different. Hope that answers your question.

[quote name=Sam :)' timestamp='1319750518' post='136632]

In my school, so few students take SL Psychology that they are mixed into the HL classes. Is there a rule against working with them on IA's? Or do I have to stick with HL students?

There is no rule, often HL and SL are mixed because there is considerable overlap. There are a few differences between the HL and SL IA but none of the differences prevent you from doing the same study as them. The difference is HL will have to write more and perform inferential stats. You could easily do the stroop or eyewitness testimony experiments with an SL student, the write-up and statistical analysis would just be different. Hope that answers your question.

Yes, that's perfect! Thank you so much!

[quote name=Sam :)' timestamp='1319751066' post='136636]

Yes, that's perfect! Thank you so much!

The only thing to consider is that HL students can modify an existing experiment to test a new hypothesis whereas SL students must only replicate a previous study. HL students do not have to modify an experiment, but they do have the option whereas SL does not.

Example HL: Test new hypothesis - Native language affects Stroop effect strength (so reading right to left natively you might predict affects the Stroop effect)

Example SL: Test original hypothesis - When word and color conflict interference occurs (only partially replicate one of Stroop's experiments)

Hope that clears things up further.

• 3 weeks later...