So, am I screwed? A question about hours.

Tøm

I have over 150 hours completed, so that's all OK. However I have just 20 for service... Is there an official IB (not in-school) hours requirement? I have read somewhere that the requirement is just two activities for each activity, and I have four.

The IBO have this habit of making information extremely difficult to access unless you are willing to pay a premium, and my CAS coordinate has a habit of inventing restrictions, so I have no idea where I stand.

Also, if I am screwed any ideas on decently long service activities I can complete in my final week, as I have no subjects which fall in the final week of exams.

Thanks.

Edited by Tøm

It's expected (and I'm sure it's required) that you have 50 hours for each section of CAS. I just discovered that the school you go to has the right to with hold your diploma until they feel you have completed CAS. (They can make you wait for another year or until you've completed your CAS before giving you your diploma)

It's expected (and I'm sure it's required) that you have 50 hours for each section of CAS. I just discovered that the school you go to has the right to with hold your diploma until they feel you have completed CAS. (They can make you wait for another year or until you've completed your CAS before giving you your diploma)

So is CAS all done internally? If so I believe my school probably would give me my diploma, either from compassion or incompetence. If all else fails, could I complete my CAS after school finishes but before I receive my diploma? I guess volunteering would give me something to do...

the requirement is just two activities for each activity

wrong. there's no such thing.

All eight [learning] outcomes must be present for a student to complete the CAS requirement. Some may be demonstrated many times, in a variety of activities, but completion requires only that there is some evidence for every outcome.

This focus on learning outcomes emphasizes that it is the quality of a CAS activity (its contribution to the student's development) that is of most importance. The guideline for the minimum amount of CAS activity is approximately the equivalent of half a day per school week (three to four hours per week), or approximately 150 hours in total, with a reasonable balance between creativity, action and service. "Hour counting", however, is not encouraged.

Source: CAS Guide for students graduating in 2010 and thereafter, page 6

so there is no requirement for you to complete 50 hours in each. you just need to maintain a balance among the three aspects.

maybe those who said it has to be minimum 50:50:50, their school just set that requirement internally.

ask your CAS coordinator whether you are fine. according to the CAS guide, I think you're just fine (depending on how many hours you have for C and A... if you have like 90:110:20 then I think you are screwed).

I have over 150 hours completed, so that's all OK. However I have just 20 for service... Is there an official IB (not in-school) hours requirement? I have read somewhere that the requirement is just two activities for each activity, and I have four.

The IBO have this habit of making information extremely difficult to access unless you are willing to pay a premium, and my CAS coordinate has a habit of inventing restrictions, so I have no idea where I stand.

Also, if I am screwed any ideas on decently long service activities I can complete in my final week, as I have no subjects which fall in the final week of exams.

Thanks.

Well, I also heard that IBO is doing away with the hour requirements. They want you to continue working on CAS throughout your IB years. It isn't that difficult to get CAS hours. You practically get hours for just breathing. jk But it is that simple. You can take just about anything and turn it into CAS hours. I recently finished Trick-O-Treat for UNICEF at my school. I organized it from the start until the finish. It was a lot of work but I believe that it was all worth it. I spent so much time and I have a ton of hours from this one service project. You can't have all your hours from one project, at least at my school.

If you are in need of service hours, see if you can organize a food bank drive where people can donate can goods, etc. for about a week or two. You can then decide to donate it to families in need at your school or give it to a local charity. If you want to make this project bigger, gather your friends and go to neighborhoods and ask for donations. Leave a bag at their door saying that you will come by next weekend to pick the cans up. It won't force the people on the spot to donate and you aren't in an awkward position.

I hope this helps some.

Good Luck!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...