History EE - Stalin'?

scooby12m

I was previously planning to do my Extended Essay on the Moscow trials but my Supervisor has rejected my title and so I have to look at a new one. I already have bought for Stalin Biographies, this are: "Stalin" by Edvard Radzinsky, "Stalin: a Biography" by Robert Service, "Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives" by Alan Bullock and "Lenin, Stalin and Hitler: The age of Social Catastrophe" by Robert Gellately.

I need to think of a new topic to focus my Extended Essay on but I can't think of one since the other interesting one, Stalin's rise to power I already used for my Internal Assessment.

I might be interested of the Ribbentrop-Molotov pact (Nazi-soviet Pact) maybe "Why did Stalin sign?" or "Did Stalin new Hitler would betray him?".

Thank you for the help.

Did your supervisor give a reason why he/she rejected your original topic? From what you've said, it may be to vague for a EE topic, perhaps you should find a narrow question (specific enough so that you can answer/conclude in 4000 words)

As for another topic, are you interested in war/WWII or just Stalin's rise to power?

If you want to do your EE under the Ribbentrop-Molotov pact, you could asses its repercussions in the curse of relationships with Germany or the consequences of the development of the role Russia played in WWII. That's just an idea, however I don't think it would be adviceable to make an EE under the claim that Stalin new Hitler would betray him or not. For me, that's clearly based on suppositions, which wouldnt give you high grades on the evaluation. Based on the fact you've already bought some books, I would keep with the same focus on the Moscow Trials but with another emphasis, perhaps your teacher could approve your topic this way.