Do I (really) need to take the TOEFL?

Azfar

Based on my nationality (Malaysian) and/or current location (Taiwan), I'm considered as an international applicant, however; I've been studying in schools whose primary language of instruction is English for five consecutive years (eight if non-consecutive). I am taking HL English A1, if that is of any relevance; I don't know what I'm predicted, but based on my total score-range I'm guessing it's a 6. My academic counselors say that I don't need to take the TOEFL, based on my educational history and present capability in English, but may still need to, based on my nationality (which I think is rather unfair).

I'm not worried about taking the test at all, if I have to. It's just...well, it's another standardized test that I have to pay for ($165!) just because of some antiquated idea self-acclaimed global universities still have about what constitutes a person's first language.

I already have to take the LNAT as well, which is another ~$100 spent/wasted.

Edited by Azfar

I don't think you have to take it, the fact that you take English A1 already proves you speak English fluently!

I am Dutch, live in The Netherlands and have never lived in an English speaking country, but I didn't have to take the TOEFL either because I take English A1. I think it's only when you take English B that you have to take the TOEFL.

I also think that you don't need to take it. As my IB Coordinator told me, the British universities don't require the TOEFL if you are taking English HL A1. I share the same opinion with you and find it rather silly to take an exam that tests your English, after having studied at a school whose primary language of teaching is English.

I think it actually depends on the university which you are planning to attend.

Even when taking IB Eng A1 HL they might not simply take that as an English language requirement, because IB Eng A1 concentrates more on literary analysis more than speech and analysing non-fiction texts.

Some universities are more lax with that and may be ok with you just taking IB English A1, though you may have to achieve a certain score in order for it to be ok.

If you're still of taking the TOEFL however I recommend you to also consider the IELTS, another English language proficiency test. While it is less commonly used than the TOEFL, it is much easier in comparison.

It has 4 parts to it: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking. You can google it up for more details.

Still I recommend you to look at the admission requirements of the universities you are interested in, and email to ask them directly if it makes you feel any better.

:)

Edited by Bad Boys of Boston

many UK universities are already happy with the fact that you're taking English A1 and don't require you to take IELTS, but some universities are just so <insert adjective here> they want you to take IELTS if you're international no matter what. you do need to check with the each university. we can't generalise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...