Problems in TOK

aliix21

I have a real hard time in my TOK class. It doesn't help much that my teacher is extremely demanding, but I can't quite think the way she wants us to.

Every quarter we have to write four journals and she always tell me that mine are too superficial and that I don't have the proper train of thought, but I don't really know where to start.

Help? :(

What do you have to write in the journal? Everyone keeps talking about TOK journal and I can't think of what you'd write in it.

Maybe if you want you could post an entry you wrote and we can look at it to see what your teacher means by 'superficial'.

Jist like what chemkid said. We have to choose something random, or maybe something that was spoken about in another class and somehow connect it to TOK.

Here is one of my journals.

kaye_Journal__2___Popper__s_Sci.doc

. To me this inductive process simply establishes the “how do we know” because the data, facts or experimental results only show how we reached that conclusion.

Why?

Proving something correct over and over again is not the best way to confirm an argument or a hypothesis, because there is still room for the entire theory to be disproved. Falsification helps solve the problem of the inductive leap or induction because, by attempting to prove a hypothesis incorrect, or looking for counter-examples, it is easier to rule out an erroneous theory.

Ok this is a good point. Your example was also good.

I think what your teacher means by superficial is that while you may have a good point, you waffle around it a bit and just are in need of getting to the point. In some part you just gloss over your points without really explaining what you mean, which makes it rather hard to understand right away what yo're trying to say.

Thinking in a TOK way, I think the problem is you're not exploring the problems of knowledge. In this title, what you should do is look at the problems with induction - that it is based on an assumption of the premise we're trying to prove is true, while in reality it may not be. Also using TOK keywords might be useful.

EDIT: Oh yeah thanks Cam for mentioning it below. I forgot about the personal examples. Those would be very helpful.

• 1 month later...

A historian/philosopher of science who would have helped give you more ideas and depth to that journal is Kuhn, who direct and in correct refutes Poppers claims that falsification is better than proving something correct over and over, by showing that scientific revolution (which is the result of falsification) only occurs when there significant social influences to make the change. And also that we still rely on induction with theories that are yet to be falsified because we still rely on the fact that they won't be falsified in the future which is inductive.

i think what they look for in a TOK journal is exploring the matter you have at hand in a different way, not the typical way everyone thinks... or if not maybe try to present the two different views on a topic... or just whatever random thoughts come to mind.... TOK is al about philosophy and the unconscious mind and everything... so even if this stupid idea comes to your mind just write it and develop it... because thats what they like to see, different perspectives and ideas!

I have a real hard time in my TOK class. It doesn't help much that my teacher is extremely demanding, but I can't quite think the way she wants us to.

Every quarter we have to write four journals and she always tell me that mine are too superficial and that I don't have the proper train of thought, but I don't really know where to start.

Help? :P

heeey

same with our teacher she gives us discussion papers, asks us to do debates, and many other things but when we came to write the essay we had no idea how to write it or anything so i dont know what ill do and she wants the essay after tomorrow!!!

soo i dont think i can help you much but what i can tell you is that you should try to write your journal as if you are talking to someone tok is more a way of thining i guess?!

• 1 month later...

hmmm yeah TOK can be a bit hard to grasp sometimes. go and tak to her and be like "dude you need to explain yourslef better coz im just not getting it onthe level that you expect out of me."

as for the TOK journal, well for ours we don't actually write anything, but collect bits and pieces liek quotes or newspaper articles that sound TOK ish and then stick them into our books. maybe you could do something like that and then commetn on them.

Dont worry about it. TOK is a bit of a bludge anyway. as long as your grasping the main concepts thats all that matters. If your stiill worried go talk to the head of the IB department or someone like that to get a second opinion or so they can help you out.

-hope this was helpful

-soph x