how did you learn English..

URA BOAT

• 4 months later...

their are many people from other countries that speak english..but i dont understand how did they learn it...did they learn it in school or did have to get privet tutors..or dose every one know english...and is it just me that thinks that only English(British) and Americans(USA) speak english...

blink.gif

Some people learn it (pretty) well from tv shows, music and movies (and even books). Many foreigners read popular books like the HP novels in English and if you become a huge fan then you might join a forum etc.. and a lot of it is in English although of course novels are translated. English is also usually the second language that is taught in primary school, and it's viewed as an important language because otherwise people won't function as well internationally.

I started learning English in kindergarden when I was about 4. It was a very natural process, and I never had to actually study. In primary school I took half of the day in English (about 3 hours) and half in Spanish. From 1st grade till about 4th grade I had a weekly spelling and vocabulary test (10 words per week). Then when I was in 2nd grade I started reading Harry Potter. Afterwards I've read a ton of books in English. In junior high I started analyzing novels (not in the depth of the IB course, though) and writing essays. I had a great teacher in 9th grade who taught us how to write good essays with sophisticated vocabulary. I also learned a lot by watching TV

Now I am taking English A2 :)

I also speak German (it isn't as good as my English) because I lived a year in Germany.

• 2 weeks later...

I started learning English when I was about 9 in school, I believe I had like 3 English classes a week, and now I've been mistaken for being an native speaker multiple times, so I guess I've had great teachers or something haha :) Also, the summer of 2011 I went to America for an exchange program, and during my time there my pronounciation improved a lottt. In Sweden (and many other countries) we have tons of american TV-shows, movies, magazines etc... English is simply everywhere, so it's hard not to pick up new words and stuff, haha :)

I personally studied english for 6 years in an academy, including some summer courses, and got my CPE at the age of 15. So... when I started IB I had already learnt what I needed for the exams and degree.

I started learning English when I was about 9 in school, I believe I had like 3 English classes a week, and now I've been mistaken for being an native speaker multiple times, so I guess I've had great teachers or something haha :) Also, the summer of 2011 I went to America for an exchange program, and during my time there my pronounciation improved a lottt. In Sweden (and many other countries) we have tons of american TV-shows, movies, magazines etc... English is simply everywhere, so it's hard not to pick up new words and stuff, haha :)

Provided you didn't accidentally pick up an american accent! :P

• 4 months later...

Well, when I was 3 (and 4) I was in Australia for a year. After that, I was able to speak English fluently (but I believe with an amazing accent.). I forgot everything, until I started learning it in school, where I opened and aired all of my mental cupboards storing my English knowledge, so I always was that tiny bit better than my class mates for the first years.

And later on? Books. I only read them in their original language, if I can.

Hm. I think the breakthrough in my "English learning" came with a first book that I read wholly in English. I was.. 13?14? Since then learning is not actually learning, it's just... practicing. Well, excluding horrible WAs, of course. But the first years of studies (10 years old) were awful! I remember the frustration at how I couldn't remember the difference between "thick" and "thin", it was all the same for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my mom said I watched a lot of cartoons, read a lot, my dad spoke English, I went to an English-speaking school - been through those my whole school years and that's how I got to knowing English fluently. I am trilingual meaning I can speak three languages fluently but I speak English more than any of the other two which is Swahili and Kutchi (an Indian language).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HayashiEsme

Well my parents are fluent, though I spoke in Hokkien (Chinese Dialect) and then Mandarin for a long time before getting any English. TV and Games definitely helped while I was at a Chinese school, afterwards I went to an International School, ended up with an accent (well to be fair I've always had quite a bit of it because of the people my parents hung out with, also they took me wherever they flew), now my Chinese is rubbish, and I take English Literature as a Higher Level subject, ahaha!

Edited by HayashiEsme