Chemistry 'Higher Level' for Psychology?!?

Tang Mo

Hi there! First of all, I already know that there is someone already asking about this. But I still need more information....

I would want to know how much different will it make if I take Chemistry Standard Level instead of Chemistry Higher Level if I am most likely to go for psychology.

I just switch subject from Econ HL to Chem HL last week. I did quite well in class and assessment.But I generally hate Chemistry... more of afraid it gonna get harder. So I was considering of changing it back to Chem SL and take Econ HL like what I did at first. But I would want to know if there's going to be any effect for my future career path.

I am now taking Biology, Chemistry and Math HL. Spanish, Economy and English SL.

I am quite afraid economy is going to get harder in future. Because I don't have any background related to that subject. I've always been a science student.That's the only reason I didn't straight away change Chem HL back to Econ HL.

So what do you guy think? Should I continue taking Chemistry HL? :(

First of all, it really depends on the universities you want to apply to. Some may care, some others may not. My suggestion is that if you hate Chemistry, then drop it to SL. Don't make you life harder with boring lab reports and a huge syllabus to cover. Also, your other HL subjects are quite demanding so I doubt that Chemistry will make a difference. Two classmates of mine who are (both) studying psychology at the university of Edinburgh right now, had Chemistry at standard level and obviously it worked out perfectly for them. Not to mention that they didn't even have Math HL. But doesn't your school offer psychology as a subject? I guess not, so my advice to you is to take the subjects you like and certainly consult with your IBC or college adviser. Ask them about your school's IB graduates who are studying/have studied psychology and what their subject choices were. Moreover, why not contact some prospective universities and ask them! They do appreciate showing interest and they are the ones who actually know the true answer. Good luck with your IB experience :)

• Like 1

being a Science student doesn't mean you'll ace Chem HL... I'm one too, but Chem HL was too overwhelming and in the end I dropped it to SL. I took Chem in IGCSE and got a good grade, so I thought I could do Chem HL. BUT, after a few months being there, I just couldn't cope so I dropped to SL... ~_~

it's really difficult. being a Science student is not a good excuse to stay. anyway Econ HL is so much easier than Chem HL, and might help with your uni course. go for it.

• 2 months later...

Ooo Tang Tang, guess who? Haha I think you should stick to Chem SL, Econs HL. Cause if you don't like Chemistry, you'll just be torturing yourself cause you chose it. I'm pretty sure that if you go to America for uni, they'll still be able to consider you for Psychology :)))