Question on Biology EE

cataclysm1c

Hey guys,

I'd appreciate any help that you can give me on this topic. I'm still in my first year of IB so now I've decided to do a Biology EE. My proposed field for the topic is something to do with mitosis (ecological factors that affect cell division). The recent issues involved in this is cancer, which the the uncontrolled cell division due to genetic anomalies. I was hoping to use a type of cell for the experiment, could you propose an organism or cell that I can use for experiment? And I was wondering how if I could purchase these actual organism? Thanks for any advice

• 2 months later...

im not quite sure you can do this topic because the report has to be a lab you would do in school. i don't think you can really measure that. i wanted to do stem cell research but my advisor said that wasn't possible, and this topic sounds like its kinda at the same point. maybe you should pick a topic that is doable in a school lab, so you won't get as many complications or questions

i hope this helps :)

• 2 months later...

Hmm... It is already August and I hope I am not too late. I also hope that you have changed your topic to something doable like hellogoodbye said. Some people in my class wanted to cure cancer as well, but that was a joke. What did your EE supervisor say?

IB doesn't expect you to cure cancer that all other scientists couldn't do. Maybe shift your focus from mitosis to what factors affect the intervals between each stage in mitosis, and then you can try to speed it up, or etc. But personally I think plants are overdone, so unless you can come up with a really original topic, you are unlikely to score high.