Points Needed For Canadian Universities

notenoughsleep

• 11 months later...

I'd like to add that for McGill applicants who live outside of Quebec, they are first regarded as a Canadian applicant, not an IB applicant. So your percentage marks are what they see first, and then your diploma points. If your percentage is within the range of the subject, you have a chance of getting in even if your diploma points are not. I talked to a McGill rep a few days ago and this is what she told me :)

• Like 1

Not sure if more information can be added, but have the following:

University of British Columbia:

39 points (2015) - Engineering Physics - BSc

38 points (2016) - Biological Sciences - BSc

34 points (2016) - General Business Management - BCom

University of Waterloo:

39 points (2016) - Engineering - BSc

• 3 weeks later...

I think the points needed for those universities are updated. Most of the universities now have a lower standers, less points are needed. I think it's because they now knew IB is way harder than what they thought :P At least from what I know, to get into University of Waterloo's Math and Business program, you only need 32 points now. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Simon Fraser University - with IB Entrance Scholarship - a really good deal guys, consider it. If you pass with 34 points and above. If you pass IBDP (24 points), you have a full year of transfer credits WHOOP WHOOP!

Trinity Western University

University of Calgary

University of Manitoba

all four with 39 points (I picked SFU) (2016) - Linguistics Major

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2012 at 5:43 PM, Dew said:

Anyone know the points needed for the Engineering department, UofT?

UofT admissions officers came to our school last December and gave us some information. I think those tips would help if you want to get into the Engineering Department in UofT (I assume you are talking about U of Toronto;))

-You need an IB score of 40 or higher. If you are in the 30s, try harder. High 30s are acceptable in certain yet rare circumstances;

-It will be in your advantage for your admissions if you are taking one higher level in the sciences (group 4)

-You kinda need the Calculus option on HL Maths

-DOESN'T need SAT/ACT

-NEEDS TOEFL if you're from a non-English speaking country

-DOESN'T consider your EE and TOK score; in other words, only takes into account the "xx out of 42"

-An EE on maths or sciences will do you good. Even though they don't look at the score, you can attach it to you file while applying

PS I'm considering UofT Engineering too so I know all this stuff. Best of luck in your application!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, penguins said:

Hello dear friends, 

I was wondering does anyone know the required IB Diploma point for University of Waterloo's computer science and engineering.

Thanks in advance

The University of Waterloo gives very little (if any) weight to total points. They prefer to see your relevant individual course grades for the program you're applying to. For computer science and most engineering programs, you'll need 6s or 7s to get in.

hello again,

Thank you for your reply VeronicaG, you are awesome,

So as far as I understand I need 6 or 7 from Math, Physics and Chemistry (SL HL HL respectively :) ) . Do I need an ACT score to get in and you've said that I need to take relevant individual corses. Do you mean I have to start programming or at least learn about coding now, I actually was thinking about it but after taking the IB exams so that I will not cram everything in too less time. Which type of individual courses would you suggest that would not be pain for me right now, my exams will be finished in december.

Thank you guys a lot though

Awww thanks!

The official requirements from international IB applicants are listed here for engineering (note: I picked a random engineering program but they all have the same requirements) and here for computer science. The 'relevant' courses I was talking about were the prerequisite courses (so math, physics, chem, English). They do not care if you know programming or not before coming UNLESS YOU'RE APPLYING TO SOFTWARE ENGINEERING (which requires previous in-depth knowledge of programming). However, I would highly recommend learning how to code in your spare time, since that'll be helpful in first year and will also make it easier to get a co-op job.

As for the ACT, I would submit it anyways. It's not mandatory per se, but helpful especially for international applicants.

• 3 years later...