Sign in to follow this  

Econ Portfolio Marks

For all you May 2008 candidates who have done your portfolios...what marks did you get? were you even told what you got?

Kind of want to compare my classes marks to others to be honest, because our economics class has been a shambles from day 1. It's the first year our school did it, teachers have been coming and going, they don't really know what they're doing etc.

My teacher didn't want to give us our marks in case they were changed. But he told us if he was poor/satisfactory/good/very good/excellent. I got an "excellent" on my first one so I'm guessing it's a 7. Not sure about my second and third ones and haven't done my last one yet.

Our econ teacher keeps giving us marks out of 20 for each commentary... although it's really odd, because someone who he gave 15/20 to for every each of work ended up being given 18/20 on his overall portfolio!

I got 15/20 on my first, and I haven't handed in my second or third yet, as they're a bit overdue :)

Meh they shouldn't even mark individual commentaries, as you're supposed to use holistic judgement with the commentaries.

I was told I had a level 6 (which after the 2008 grade boundaries were published, turned out to be a 5 :bawling: ) and if I had 7s on the exam, my overall mark would be a 7.

After exams and moderation of IAs, I'd say the class average was high 6s to low 7s.

Meh they shouldn't even mark individual commentaries, as you're supposed to use holistic judgement with the commentaries.

The teacher marked individual IAs when he received them and write notes/comments, then based on these notes, marked all 4 IAs holistically at the end of the course. Without these notes, it would have been a lot more marking in a time-pressed period. And it's not like you can tell students to finish their IAs earlier since the course only moves so fast and you have to fulfill IA requirements (3 from different topics, 1 from any topic). In addition, by spreading out IAs, students - for the final IA - are able to choose the topic that is the most comfortable for them.

Edited by moneyfaery

My teacher doesn't give us the exact marks, but so far he told me that my commentaries were very good to excellent, so I'm guessing 6 to 7. He also said that the IB always agreed with his marks...that's also important I think.