What are some History IA Topics That Have Been Overdone?

Vanderlyle

Topics dealing with 20th century world history, such as WWI, WWII, Cold War, Totalitarian Regimes. etc. I advise that you go for local history topics that are really appreciated by the IB. You could write the IA in a 20th c. topic but it must have a witty turning point, or an original spark that is a consequence of deep interest and investigation. Good Luck! :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The War of Northern Aggression has probably been overdone, No Hitler, No Stalin, No Mao, i think the Pacific War might have been overdone... pretty much any part of history that should be common knowledge has been overdone... but don't be too picky though...

however, i don't think that its the event that u choose that matters, its from which angle u choose to attack the event, how original u can be about the subject.

Basically all the topics that you learn in class has been overdone. Choose a topic that you don't learn in class but still related to what you're learning. If you want to do something that's big (like WWI or Cold War), do it in the perspective of your country. Makes it more original :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is it really that bad to select a topic that has been overdone? Because I was thinking of doing mine in Agricultural Development under Stalin's Five Year Plans. Begh. I mean, would it affect my grade?

At the end of the day, a well written IA will get a good grade. But you have to hedge your bets here and be smart when you pick a topic because you have to remember that everything does come down to the person who corrects your IA, or indeed, verifies your teacher's score for your IA.

If you write an IA about Stalin's agricultural development plans for Russia, I bet you the teacher is going to sigh in boredom because he's probably read something similar to that a million times already. Not to mention that up until 2009, Stalin was the favourite and most-picked option for Paper 1s in History. All three five-year plans are something that any IB examiner, or IB History teacher for 5+ years knows inside-out and is sick of.

Now of course, I do not want to underestimate you, you probably have a very unique take for an RQ and have some interesting sources up your sleeve. But the point still stands that if you had chosen to write your essay on something a little less common, even if the topic was mediocre, it would generate more interest for the simple fact that it's different. It also means that you delve into researching something outside of what you've studied in class, which immediately shows favourably upon you.

Originally, I wanted to do my IA on the sinking of the Lusitania and something along those lines. My History teacher told me to suck it up and not be lazy. I ended up writing an essay on Gandhi's movements of Civil Disobedience and Non Co-operation and investigating whether they truly followed his policy of ahimsa (non-violence) or not. Just by reading that RQ alone, my History teacher was excited because he hadn't had any other students point at Gandhi as having been violent.

That's what built up my IA tbh. It was an ordinary IA, personally I found there to be nothing spectacular about it, but it still got marked really high by my teacher and the IB. One of the reasons was originality and well, simple being different.

Now had I actually done it on the sinking of the Lusitania, I could've still gotten as high a score, but it would have required a lot more effort than what I put in, and it would have to have been original and a new take or spin on an old idea.

My honest suggestion is to pick something very specific from your own country's history, as localised as you can make it the better it will be. I'm sure your chances of getting higher scores will go up.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I don't agree with all that is being said here. I believe that as long as your approach is something new and creative the topic doesn't matter too much. For example, Hitler! Of course it has been done to death, but it is also a massively large topic. Take a new approach to it, something where the examiner will think: ahh interesting didn't think about that or i have always wondered... My IA is on Pope Pius XI and the Holocaust, yeah- it has to do with Hitler and the Nazis but the way I address it takes a new twist. I do agree on the point, however, that personal IAs are perfect! If theres something local or family related that you could write about (has to be somewhat significant obviously), do it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally I don't agree with all that is being said here. I believe that as long as your approach is something new and creative the topic doesn't matter too much. For example, Hitler! Of course it has been done to death, but it is also a massively large topic. Take a new approach to it, something where the examiner will think: ahh interesting didn't think about that or i have always wondered... My IA is on Pope Pius XI and the Holocaust, yeah- it has to do with Hitler and the Nazis but the way I address it takes a new twist. I do agree on the point, however, that personal IAs are perfect! If theres something local or family related that you could write about (has to be somewhat significant obviously), do it!

I agree with this. Even if a topic is ridiculously common, you should not be discouraged from doing it. The reason these common topics are so large and popular because there is so much to investigate, so much to learn.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anything that has to do with WW1, WW2, Cold War (the Vietnam War, Cuban Missle, Afghanistan war) have all been overdone. But hey, if you got a unique way of approaching any of these subjects then I say go for it. But that is if you are DIFFERENT and SMART about a UNIQUE approach to it.

I think IA's that are authentically different and uncommon have automatically an advantage because, it won't be compared to anything that has been done before.