Benefits of Having your own Laptop?

Leafed

I have just gotten my own Laptop after maybe like...I dunno, 7 years of begging? The benefits show great! I can actually use the computer in my own room and not worry about logging out of all of my accounts on the endless websites that I use and everything seems to have gotten easier. What are some of the benefits and disadvantages of having your own computer I wonder?

Well, I've had my own computer since the age of, I don't know, 10 maybe? I actually don't know of any disadvantages beside, maybe, the fact that you get too, well, careless, if you have your own computer/laptop. You don't watch what you have there, what bookmarks you have, where you're logged in, so when your parents use your computer for some odd reason, weird situations may happen. :P

However, having your own computer has loads of advantages and I actually can't imagine myself having to share a computer again since throughout my teenage years I had a total freedom in doing whatever I fancied with my PC. :P

what type of files? :D

you know... THAT type of files

one more benefit: you can store whatever files you want without having to worry about your parents seeing them lol

hmm?

THAT type of files? Hmmm...interesting.

Its quite an advantage to have your own laptop. Its personalized just to my needs and the best part? My schoolmates are always trying to guess each others passwords and now thanks to my in built finger print reader...well life is smooth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I LOVE having my own laptop my mom was kind enough to get me one when I started high school because I stopped drinking soda for a year (and still going haven't consumed a carbonated beverage in 4 1/2 years now). It is sooooo nice I would die without it because I am definitely on it writing papers and doing research all the time and I could not handle sharing time with my 3 siblings as I am sure I would never get enough time to complete all of my work if I did.

I LOVE my laptop :google: Seriously, Google is amazing. Also, I love being able to have all my files on cool, and lots of cool applications/functions which easily simplifies your work. I have atrocious handwriting, so typing my notes is a life-saver. I also like the fact that I can "take breaks" from my work when doing stuff on my laptop, which I openly admit is also a disadvantage.

Our school classes are pretty much laptop-based; every student has had a laptop since they were 10-12 years old and its used in pretty much every class. I hear about my friends in other schools writing all essays and notes by hand, going to the library and looking in books (what are books?) to do even the most mundane and simple research, and having to use shared school computers. I pretty much don't comprehend how they can survive... Though I have to admit it is fairly easy to get side-tracked in class, and the sad thing is this culture of laptops in classes means more dependence on the brains of the computer rather than yourself to do work... And also creates chronic procrastinators.

It's a requirement for our school to use laptops and I've found them very convenient!

Having programs such as 'onenote' helps keeps my files and documents organised, allowing room for better study habits and routines. Since all your work is stored on one computer, it's easier to locate and use instead of having to run around looking for them.

Although it does become a distraction at times, self-control is necassary if you're really serious about doing well. Relaxing at times is fine and beneficial, but if the computer is used for work - then use it for work.

• 7 years later...

Well personally, I think having your own laptop is more than necessary when having a certain amount of computer work. I had my own laptop but my school bought some new ones that im keeping for the next two years, so that might be something you can negotiate with your school Director. I certainly recommend it!