Help! How do you get over exam stress/illness?!

CCLemon

Hello everyone!

Exams are right around the corner and I have a serious issue :hug: which I hope someone can help me out with. :D

My sad sad issue is that during the exam I get so nervous that I get a really bad stomachache and consequently need to go to the loo during the exam - I'm sorry if I'm causing discomfort to anyone reading this :) I've had this during my real IGCSE, and my IB mocks. So far it was during the maths papers and a close call on the rest. I'm especially worried for the May exams since it's the final thing, there's the need to pass my uni conditions and the IB regulations specifcally stated that an 'upset stomache' won't be an excuse for retaking the paper another time; hence I will be more nervous than ever before.

Is it just me who's this pathetic??? Could anyone give me advice on how to overcome this troublesome problem???

Thanks!

My advice is to RELAX. Take a few deep breaths before the exam and don't work yourself up over it. It is important, but life will continue if you don't get a 7. Try studying more, this will make you feel more confident and kill stress. But don't cram the night before, or even better don't do anything with it the day prior to the exam. Do something that relaxes you (play sports, watch tv, hang out with friends), and get more sleep than usual. Hope that helps.

i agree with tyro, just relax. make sure that you know your stuff and have confidence in yourself. before entering n exam i always take up my 'i can do this, it's not a problem, keep smiling' mantra. i repeat it over and over again. do not think about what you can't do or what may happen in the exam. deep breaths are good too.

if you don't mind my asking what is it exactly that gets you so nervous..eams yes..but more specifically?

i am the biggest stress ball on the planet and i have a tendancy to panic, so i think i might be able to help!!

Know the material very very well, and boost your confidence. Try putting yourself in that stress position more often, instead of avoiding it. For example, as practice, give yourself mocks with practice questions or exams, and time yourself like the IB would do so. Actually set an alarm clock, and put it in front of you or above you. Make a promise to yourself that you will not stop doing the test or cheat, even if you don't know what to do. It will emulate exam conditions and as you get used to it, you'll find that exams are nothing but doing practice questions at home.

Hello everyone!

Exams are right around the corner and I have a serious issue :D which I hope someone can help me out with. :D

My sad sad issue is that during the exam I get so nervous that I get a really bad stomachache and consequently need to go to the loo during the exam - I'm sorry if I'm causing discomfort to anyone reading this :) I've had this during my real IGCSE, and my IB mocks. So far it was during the maths papers and a close call on the rest. I'm especially worried for the May exams since it's the final thing, there's the need to pass my uni conditions and the IB regulations specifcally stated that an 'upset stomache' won't be an excuse for retaking the paper another time; hence I will be more nervous than ever before.

Is it just me who's this pathetic??? Could anyone give me advice on how to overcome this troublesome problem???

Thanks!

I know exactly how you feel. On big exams i get stomach aches and suddenly need to use the bathroom. I since then started to chew sugar free gum to destress and also i make sure not to eat anything 45 min b4 the exam. I also use the bathroom right b4 and if my stomach gets upset drink sprite or 7-up :P hope these work. gd luck and let me know if you needd anything.

Thank you everyone for your helpful advices! :)

In response to candy's question, hmm...I think what makes me nervous specifically is the mounting tension you can feel in the air and the notion of 'this is it, the exams are here and there's no turning back' thing. Wherever you go there's always someone who's looking over their notes, or friends testing each other at the last minute, the continuous noise of nervous students, and the silence that follows it when we're actually in the exam hall.

Right, so exam practice at home, revise my head off, relax, and chew sugar free gum :P (yaay I'm so glad to know that someone else can have similar experiences as me! Thanks nour_rash.) Yeah I really hope that by the time I do the exam, it will be nothing more than what Dooga said, 'you'll find that exams are nothing but doing practice questions at home' :P

Please keep posting of anything else you can think of! Anything you say is very helpful! :)

Well I just had my French oral today and let me tell you I was extremely nervous. Generally I am not nervous for any orals in French or any other classes. I tried many different methods that was advised to me by other students like deep breaths, take a walk, or even counting to 50. The method I found that works the best is tell yourself that you are prepared and that it is just like practice. I believe that if you are confident in your knowledge you will be able to score a mark you worked for.

LoL.. during my french oral last year, my teacher had water bottles and candy on the table and offered them to me... when I refused, she was just like "are you sure?" and kept trying to me take the water and candy.

I found out later she only offered candy and water to those who seemed really nervous :P

I usually listen to some music or take a walk ( or maybe both sometimes :) ) But, i recommend taking mock tests under test conditions i.e. time yourself during the test,in sections, ( if you have time to spare, make the time limit shorter to make sure you'll get it finished with some time to revise your work), and remember, BREATHE..... its not the end of the world. :)

Good luck, :P

also, i know u've probably been told this a million times but DO NOT listen to any one else before the exam. do not test urself against others or talk about study or what u do or do not understand. if u have to do a rehash of a few notes but do not talk to others about the exam. find it always makes me panic, i begin to doubt my ability and it ends badly! lol. you will be fine.

• 2 months later...

Ok this is a bit of a late post since the exams ended a month ago. BUT I thought I should write how I coped with my exam sickness ^_^ because everyone gave so many helpful advices! thank you to all who posted :) I found that what works the best for me personally, is to not eat anything at least 30-45 minute before the exams and keep taking a whiff of a relaxing aroma therapy oil. I amazingly didn't have my exam sickness! :)

Ok this is a bit of a late post since the exams ended a month ago. BUT I thought I should write how I coped with my exam sickness ^_^ because everyone gave so many helpful advices! thank you to all who posted :) I found that what works the best for me personally, is to not eat anything at least 30-45 minute before the exams and keep taking a whiff of a relaxing aroma therapy oil. I amazingly didn't have my exam sickness! :)

Haha, I was about to give you some more advice....but like you said, your exams are over and done with! Congrats! I'm hoping you did really well on them, especially since you didn't get sick.

Personally, if I catch the scent of anything too fragrant (i.e. aroma therapy oil), I get sick...migraines and puking. Yay.