English B HL Topics for EE?

alan.p

Hey,

I have a question concerning the EE topics for English B HL, how can i approach a topic, keeping in mind the criteria that is given? This is really important for me, i'm struggling right now trying to find a topic! :unsure: Can you give me any advice and examples?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Try reading the information for Group 2 EEs in the EE Guide: IBO Extended Essay Guide

You must come up with your own topic about 1984, we can't do it for you - it's part of YOUR grade! There are loads of different things you can look at in 1984, hopefully the guide I posted above will help you see what other people have done before you.

• 2 years later...

Hello, I'm new here so I don't really know how to use this forum. My question is pretty similar to this one so can you please help me?

I'm English B HL and I'm looking for a book to write about as my EE.

I can't decide whether I should choose Witch Child by Celia Rees or Everything Matters by Ron Currie Jr.

Please help me, I'm stuck! :(

• 11 months later...

hey, im also new here.

im thinking to do my EE about Anne Frank the diary of a young girl.

can i use that book?

then, can i talk about her optimistic view towards life

or her writing that shows the world about the culture at that time? 

is this literature enough?

really hope for feedbacks thank you! :)

Just thought I'd throw some things out there. When my grade got introduced to the EE, we were given this PowerPoint with English EE topics that we should absolutely NOT do:

–1984
–Harry Potter
–Wuthering Heights
–Lord of the Rings
–To Kill a Mockingbird
–The Handmaid’s Tale
–The Grapes of Wrath
–The Great Gatsby
–Frankenstein
–David Copperfield
–Robinson Crusoe
–Pride & Prejudice
–Jane Eyre
–Heart of Darkness
–Moby ****

Also, just make sure that the book you're choosing isn't in the course's curriculum. 

@fazlin  -   Anne Frank should be a fine book to write your EE on, as far as I know. Based on what I've learned thus far, my teachers have told me not to write about the content in the book but find links between the ideas in it, literary devices, themes...etc. and have those as your arguments. It makes for a stronger essay. Just a suggestion. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi there! 

I'm doing my EE in English B and I struggle with a suitable topic. I have a lot of ideas, but just dunno if I could write 4000 words on any. 

My original idea was naming in the Harry Potter series - you know, the symbolism behind it etc., but a lot of people here say that Harry Potter never gets good grades and is way too popular for a topic. 

I'm also very interested in feminism and thought about pairing it up with fairytales somehow, like how fairytales portray women or something.

Or maybe a RQ like "How are women represented in magazine advertisements?"

I love Disney films and I also thought about "How has Disney's portrayal of main female roles changed as women's rights have advanced?

I'm also considering the idea of the role/portrayal of women in the 1920 America as shown in F.S. Fitzgerald's works, or anything about the 1920s culture and Fitzgerald or the flapper girls, I just really love it, but no research question comes to my mind.

The last idea is pretty random and I don't even know if I could analyse TV series for an EE, but... I was wondering if I could maybe analyse political incorrectness in the show Friends? They make a lot of sexist, borderline homophobic jokeks there, and I must admit, it seems tempting to choose it as a topic. 

Can you please help me with phrasing RQs out of that messy thoughts of mine? 

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...