B&M Case Study 2012

The case is really different. We got it last week as well and this year they were really late in releasing it. There are a lot of concepts. If you have the business and management book by paul hoang (pg number 16(roman numeral), they're some questions our teacher told us to do that will help with preparation for it. Discussing the concepts would be of a lot of help :)

The case is really different. We got it last week as well and this year they were really late in releasing it. There are a lot of concepts. If you have the business and management book by paul hoang (pg number 16(roman numeral), they're some questions our teacher told us to do that will help with preparation for it. Discussing the concepts would be of a lot of help :)

True.... but from my point of view the most challenging part is actually lack of consistancy between the final option and the whole story though... Concepts will be solved anyway but the issue is the level-4 Qs I will say

True.... but from my point of view the most challenging part is actually lack of consistancy between the final option and the whole story though... Concepts will be solved anyway but the issue is the level-4 Qs I will say

yeah that's true. The concepts are easy ^^ lol it's just that there are TOO MANY! :o Personally, i think the guy in the case study is an idiot :eek: the whole way through when i was reading it, idiot just kept on popping into my mind. I'm not sure of what decision they should take as of yet, but from the data they gave us it somehow seems obvious. I don't know. Have you guys discussed it in class yet?

When I read the first few sentences I was like - dude, really? An imaginative country Loyka? WPO? Peace mission? After civil war?There are so many different details! Organisational structure, employee motivation, change of leadership, investment decision, mission and vision, cell production and many more... However, I most certainly enjoy this Case Study more than the previous, which was about charity. Even though once again it's a non-profit organisation, the whole thing seems more clear this year.

We had a mock exam on this Case Study and the questions I remember (written by teacher) were:

Identify 2 external and 2 internal stakeholders of this mission and describe their interest in WPO

Compare and contrast objectives of NGO's and other business organisations

Use any of decision making tools to evaluate which option the mission should choose

With references to this mission explain why mission and vision statements are important for business organisation

Evaluate the decision to use cell production in potential hospital building

Evaluate how appropriate autocratic leader in this mission is

Describe the benefits of focus groups

There were some more, but I can't really remember them all..

As for decision making, it doesn't look that straightforward. I used force field analysis in my mock exam and the university was the winner for me. Surely they had risks of social uneasiness (freedom of speech etc), however, there was something similar for hospital (male doctors iirc), plus I marked the governor support quite highly in this analysis thus came up with 1 or 2 point lead for university. Then again, I am not really sure about this and it seems pretty individual at the moment.

Well, i wrote down the list of key terms that are in this case study and also the definitions. But i'll only post the terms that i found. Please feel free to add more to the list if you found an more terms or delete any, if you think it shouldn't be on the list:

1. Primary sector
  2. Secondary sector
  3. Tertiary sector
  4. Organizational structure
  5. Tall organization structure
  6. Centralization
  7. Hierarchy
  8. Span of control
  9. Organizational culture
  10. Motivation
  11. Level of hierarchy
  12. Force field analysis
  13. A non-profit organisation
  14. Situational leadership style
  15. Social marketing
  16. Strategic objectives
  17. Public relations
  18. Operational objectives
  19. Financial reward
  20. Non-financial motivational methods
  21. Corporate social responsibility
  22. Delegation
  23. Chain of command
  24. Sole trader
  25. Critical path analysis
  26. Matrix structure
  27. Workforce planning
  28. Social audit
  29. Environmental audit
  30. Primary research
  31. Focus groups
  32. Cell production
  33. Public-private partnerships
  34. Research and development
  35. Entrepreneur
  36. Marketing
  37. Economies of scale
  38. Income
  39. Sources of finance
  40. First-mover advantage
  41. Just-in-time
  42. Just-in-case
  43. Stocks
  44. Business plan
  45. Expansion
  46. Retailers
  47. Wholesaler
  48. Supply chain management
  49. Working capital
  50. Profit
  51. Salary
  52. Loan
  53. Collateral
  54. Organizational chart
  55. Survey
  56. Scale of production

I'm not really sure about the last one. Anyway, those are the ones i found and these case studies are supposed to have up to 80 or more terms :/ So please add anymore if they aren't in the list.

Edited by kim luffy

Well, i wrote down the list of key terms that are in this case study and also the definitions. But i'll only post the terms that i found. Please feel free to add more to the list if you found an more terms or delete any, if you think it shouldn't be on the list:

1. Primary sector
  2. Secondary sector
  3. Tertiary sector
  4. Organizational structure
  5. Tall organization structure
  6. Centralization
  7. Hierarchy
  8. Span of control
  9. Organizational culture
  10. Motivation
  11. Level of hierarchy
  12. Force field analysis
  13. A non-profit organisation
  14. Situational leadership style
  15. Social marketing
  16. Strategic objectives
  17. Public relations
  18. Operational objectives
  19. Financial reward
  20. Non-financial motivational methods
  21. Corporate social responsibility
  22. Delegation
  23. Chain of command
  24. Sole trader
  25. Critical path analysis
  26. Matrix structure
  27. Workforce planning
  28. Social audit
  29. Environmental audit
  30. Primary research
  31. Focus groups
  32. Cell production
  33. Public-private partnerships
  34. Research and development
  35. Entrepreneur
  36. Marketing
  37. Economies of scale
  38. Income
  39. Sources of finance
  40. First-mover advantage
  41. Just-in-time
  42. Just-in-case
  43. Stocks
  44. Business plan
  45. Expansion
  46. Retailers
  47. Wholesaler
  48. Supply chain management
  49. Working capital
  50. Profit
  51. Salary
  52. Loan
  53. Collateral
  54. Organizational chart
  55. Survey
  56. Scale of production

I'm not really sure about the last one. Anyway, those are the ones i found and these case studies are supposed to have up to 80 or more terms :/ So please add anymore if they aren't in the list.

The last one should be method of production,according to Paul Hoang's textbook

Also....not quite sure about #40...

I understand the meaning but I think it should be market penetration (1.7)

I don't think #40 is listed in the textbook

Not everything is listed in the textbook.

First mover advantage is very simple: http://www.marketing...over_advantage/

I do understand the concept. But I am wondering if they are really going to ask us to define words not listed in the textbook

Firstly...IB doesnt ask you to define anything. just apply the knowledge you have.

Secondly Paul hoang's book isn't the OFFICIAL text book. There is no ONE textbook. If marketing is there in the syllabus then its there.

Not everything is listed in the textbook.

First mover advantage is very simple: http://www.marketing...over_advantage/

I do understand the concept. But I am wondering if they are really going to ask us to define words not listed in the textbook

Actually it is in the paul hoang text book because that's where i got the definition from. And what Ishaan said is true, not one book is used, but many others, like i have 2 other B & M textbooks excluding paul hoang.