B&M Case Study 2012

• 1 month later...

it's pretty obvious that UWP is a reference to the UN's peacekeeping forces so something that would probably help understanding the case study would be to read up on some the the work the UN is doing around the world, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Interim_Administration_Mission_in_Kosovo - can be referenced when talking about the population of Loyka's negative views on UWP as the UN was heavily criticized by the local population in Kosovo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNAMA - the UN's main mission in Afghanistan is to help and support the stability of the country, much like UWP's mission in Loyka, UN has also employed "minimal involvement policy" and this is something that perhaps UWP could look into in order to improve relations with the population of Loyka

• 2 weeks later...

just did a mock exam on this case study last week.......I have to complain that my teacher is REALLY REALLY a strict marker...

Anyway, besides terms and definition, we should came up with SWOT and PEST analysis if possible......

Seems like from the infornmation given..SL won't encounter any calculation in P1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey well we've been doing a lot of practice on this. Not only SWOT and PEST anaylsis but also use the ansoff matrix for Kos Palouk's business. I have some questions our teacher gave us. Let me try and uploading them here! :) It'll help for preparation!

http://www.mediafire.com/?d353zjujvr7vyra

http://www.mediafire.com/?1dkrwdbff8i8srv

• Like 1

Hey well we've been doing a lot of practice on this. Not only SWOT and PEST anaylsis but also use the ansoff matrix for Kos Palouk's business. I have some questions our teacher gave us. Let me try and uploading them here! :) It'll help for preparation! http://www.mediafire.com/?d353zjujvr7vyra http://www.mediafire.com/?1dkrwdbff8i8srv
\

This must be something sensitive. I was not able to open it until I used proxy....

Hey well we've been doing a lot of practice on this. Not only SWOT and PEST anaylsis but also use the ansoff matrix for Kos Palouk's business. I have some questions our teacher gave us. Let me try and uploading them here! :) It'll help for preparation! http://www.mediafire.com/?d353zjujvr7vyra http://www.mediafire.com/?1dkrwdbff8i8srv

Just wondering... how ansoff matrix relates to Kos' business.. It does not really have a so called new market and new product.

sry if the queston is too simple.... I basically have to rely on myself for the whole IB...

thx

Hey well we've been doing a lot of practice on this. Not only SWOT and PEST anaylsis but also use the ansoff matrix for Kos Palouk's business. I have some questions our teacher gave us. Let me try and uploading them here! :) It'll help for preparation! http://www.mediafire...d353zjujvr7vyra http://www.mediafire...1dkrwdbff8i8srv

Just wondering... how ansoff matrix relates to Kos' business.. It does not really have a so called new market and new product.

sry if the queston is too simple.... I basically have to rely on myself for the whole IB...

thx

Sorry, i didn't know how to attach the file.

Well it's just one of the questions that came. Since he wants to expand his business, he can use the ansoff matrix to probably show him the costs and benefits of doing it. It's in one of the questions in the files i attached i think. They gave an extra portion to Kos Palouck's business and that's where the question came from. They also asked for porter's generic strategies but that's for HL's.

Hey well we've been doing a lot of practice on this. Not only SWOT and PEST anaylsis but also use the ansoff matrix for Kos Palouk's business. I have some questions our teacher gave us. Let me try and uploading them here! :) It'll help for preparation! http://www.mediafire...d353zjujvr7vyra http://www.mediafire...1dkrwdbff8i8srv

thx

Sorry, i didn't know how to attach the file.

Well it's just one of the questions that came. Since he wants to expand his business, he can use the ansoff matrix to probably show him the costs and benefits of doing it. It's in one of the questions in the files i attached i think. They gave an extra portion to Kos Palouck's business and that's where the question came from. They also asked for porter's generic strategies but that's for HL's.

I C, thx for sharing

• 4 weeks later...

Excuse me,what is the case study used for?!I have no idea about IB exam in B&M.My B&M teacher never told me about this.Also,I don't know which units should I study to prepare for B&M?I'm in HL.Thanks.

I think you should ask your teacher about it. There are 2 papers in BM. The case study is used for Paper 1.

Anyway what year are you giving your exams? You're obviously not a May 2011 student.

He knows nothing about IB!!!I am a May 2012 students!!!Gonna take IB exam sooooon.....HELP ME!!!TAT

• 3 weeks later...

guys, a lot of you have mentioned a PDF study booklet by paul hoang about the case study, which sounds really useful. would anybody be able to email that to me? thanks in advance :)

I'd love to have that too!

In general I don't think it's a hard case study. It's just all over the place! I mean you have UWP and their conflicts and you have Kos' business and his conflicts too! I think they made it this way so that they have more to ask about.

My teacher went to an IB training and a chief examiner there told her that focus of the case study is on Kos' business and the additional section is most likely on Kos' business. I feel like the additional section is going to be about the future of the company (after building the hospital/university) and Kos' opportunities. They can ask for depreciation (think Kos' truck), diversification (due to better infrastructure etc.), and UWP's future conflicts (riot? think crisis management).

I just hope they don't bring up finance.. I hate finance!

Judging by the nature of the case study (building social infrastructure in a 3rd world country), they could definitely bring up project management and networks in the additional sections.

In general Business and Management least worries me at this point! SPECIALLY since I have 3 days to study for each paper :D

guys, a lot of you have mentioned a PDF study booklet by paul hoang about the case study, which sounds really useful. would anybody be able to email that to me? thanks in advance :)

I'd love to have that too!

In general I don't think it's a hard case study. It's just all over the place! I mean you have UWP and their conflicts and you have Kos' business and his conflicts too! I think they made it this way so that they have more to ask about.

My teacher went to an IB training and a chief examiner there told her that focus of the case study is on Kos' business and the additional section is most likely on Kos' business. I feel like the additional section is going to be about the future of the company (after building the hospital/university) and Kos' opportunities. They can ask for depreciation (think Kos' truck), diversification (due to better infrastructure etc.), and UWP's future conflicts (riot? think crisis management).

I just hope they don't bring up finance.. I hate finance!

Judging by the nature of the case study (building social infrastructure in a 3rd world country), they could definitely bring up project management and networks in the additional sections.

In general Business and Management least worries me at this point! SPECIALLY since I have 3 days to study for each paper :D

Interesting post!

Oh and I have 6 days for Paper 1 and 2. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some more practice questions:

1. Explain how the UWP Mission may use its Mission Statement to create competitive advantages.
  2. Explain how ethical objectives can provide a non-profit organization like UWP with competitive advantages. OR
  3. Evaluate the benefits to UWP Mission of setting ethical objectives.
  4. Evaluate the suitability of a tall, centralized organization structure for the UWP Mission.
  5. Analyze the appropriateness of an autocratic leadership style adopted by the UWP Commander, Ron Meiri. OR
  6. Explain three reasons why the UWP Commander, Ron Meiri may have adopted an autocratic style of leadership.
  7. With reference to appropriate motivational theory, analyze the likely impact of UWP’s organizational culture on the level of motivation of its troops.
  8. Comment on the problems that UWP may encounter in trying to change the culture of its organization.
  9. Suggest three policies that UWP could implement in Loyka to put their mission statement into practice.
  10. Using relevant motivational theory, explain why Ron Meiri’s approach has led to resentment/dissatisfaction amongst “the olive hats”.
  11. What problems might the UWP headquarters face in changing its strategy for 2011?
  12. Identify the costs and benefits associated with UWP head quarter’s decision to change its strategy in 2011.
  13. With reference to UWP Mission, distinguish between strategic objectives and operational objectives, and describe how these are inter related.
  14. Analyze one advantage and one disadvantage of using social marketing in non-profit organizations. OR
  15. Examine the role of social marketing for the success of UWP’s Mission in Loyka.
  16. Distinguish between market orientation and social marketing.
  17. Discuss the extent to which a change in leadership style of the Commander might benefit the UWP Mission in Loyka. OR
  18. To what extent can a situational leadership style of General Pierce improve the morale of the UWP troops at Loyka?
  19. To what extent will General Pierce’s decision to “build either a hospital or a new university campus” enable UWP to position itself as being socially responsible and create a competitive advantage?
  20. Compare the key objectives of the private sector with that of the public sector and explain why governments see partnership with the private sector as beneficial.
  21. Explain two non-financial rewards that General Pierce could use to motivate the UWP troops.50 questions on UWP Mission to LOYKA, Leena Palekar December 16, 2011
  22. Explain three advantages to General Pierce of delegating responsibility to Colonel Donovan.
  23. Evaluate whether acting with social responsibility can enable UWP Mission to gain a competitive advantage.
  24. Using the organization chart of UWP Mission in Appendix 1, comment on the existing span of control.
  25. Explain the various stages involved in the decision making process about whether to build a university or a hospital in Loyka.
  26. Prepare a SWOT analysis for Kos Palouk’s business. Based on the SWOT analysis, evaluate any 2 opportunities that Kos can benefit from the construction of a new university.
  27. Prepare a SWOT analysis for Kos Palouk’s business. Using your SWOT analysis, discuss the two options available to Kos as he considers expansion of his business.
  28. Prepare a PEST analysis for Loyka.
  29. Explain the advantages and disadvantages of using cell production to construct a hospital.
  30. Outline a suitable marketing mix if Kos supplied his produce to the retailers in Beral.
  31. Examine three economies of scale that Kos may benefit from increasing the scale of his produce distribution business.
  32. Evaluate potential sources of finance for a small produce distribution business like that of Kos to fund the purchase of the following:
    • poultry ii) delivery vans iii) refrigerated warehouse

[*]Using Ansoff Matrix, evaluate the strategic options available to companies/individuals seeking private public partnership in the research and development of a new university.

[*]Examine the potential problems Kos may face as a result of expansion into Beral.

[*]Explain how the aims and objectives of a non-profit organization may be different from those of a profit making organization.

[*]Identify three possible sources of finance available to Kos to finance the expansion of his produce distribution business to Beral.

[*]Explain why Kos’ growth plans to Beral are likely to be organic.

[*]Identify three ways in which Kos can improve his working capital position.

[*]Examine possible methods of growth available to Kos if he expands his produce distribution to Beral.

[*]Suggest a possible reorganization of Kos’ business if he expands to Beral.

[*]Suggest possible advantages and disadvantages if Kos were to adopt a new organization structure based on the “process” type, as part of his expansion plans to Beral.

[*]Examine the factors that may influence the choice of recruitment methods used by Kos when he expands to Beral.

[*]Analyze how a social and environmental audit of the two construction projects might benefit the UWP Mission. 50 questions on UWP Mission to LOYKA, Leena Palekar December 16, 2011

[*]Suggest three benefits of carrying out primary research as opposed to secondary research in helping to decide between the two construction projects.

[*]Explain one advantage and one disadvantage for Colonel Donovan of only conducting primary market research.

[*]Explain two problems that Kos might have in building a customer base in new markets in Beral.

[*]Identify two reasons why a bank/financial institution might be reluctant to fund the expansion plans of Kos’ produce distribution business to Beral.

[*]General Pierce would have to use “non financial motivational methods to re-motivate her troops”. Explain how non financial motivational methods might affect job satisfaction and morale of the UWP troops.

[*]“Kos can maximize his scale of operation by supplying his produce to Beral”. Identify four elements involved in the process of setting up a business.

[*]Explain the benefits of using focus groups as opposed to in-depth interviews.

[*]Suggest one benefit and one drawback of using focus groups.

[*]Explain how the UWP Mission may use its Mission Statement to create competitive advantages.

[*]Explain how ethical objectives can provide a non-profit organization like UWP with competitive advantages. OR

[*]Evaluate the benefits to UWP Mission of setting ethical objectives.

[*]Evaluate the suitability of a tall, centralized organization structure for the UWP Mission.

[*]Analyze the appropriateness of an autocratic leadership style adopted by the UWP Commander, Ron Meiri. OR

[*]Explain three reasons why the UWP Commander, Ron Meiri may have adopted an autocratic style of leadership.

[*]With reference to appropriate motivational theory, analyze the likely impact of UWP’s organizational culture on the level of motivation of its troops.

[*]Comment on the problems that UWP may encounter in trying to change the culture of its organization.

[*]Suggest three policies that UWP could implement in Loyka to put their mission statement into practice.

[*]Using relevant motivational theory, explain why Ron Meiri’s approach has led to resentment/dissatisfaction amongst “the olive hats”.

[*]What problems might the UWP headquarters face in changing its strategy for 2011?

[*]Identify the costs and benefits associated with UWP head quarter’s decision to change its strategy in 2011.

[*]With reference to UWP Mission, distinguish between strategic objectives and operational objectives, and describe how these are inter related.

[*]Analyze one advantage and one disadvantage of using social marketing in non-profit organizations. OR

[*]Examine the role of social marketing for the success of UWP’s Mission in Loyka.

[*]Distinguish between market orientation and social marketing.

[*]Discuss the extent to which a change in leadership style of the Commander might benefit the UWP Mission in Loyka. OR

[*]To what extent can a situational leadership style of General Pierce improve the morale of the UWP troops at Loyka?

[*]To what extent will General Pierce’s decision to “build either a hospital or a new university campus” enable UWP to position itself as being socially responsible and create a competitive advantage?

[*]Compare the key objectives of the private sector with that of the public sector and explain why governments see partnership with the private sector as beneficial.

[*]Explain two non-financial rewards that General Pierce could use to motivate the UWP troops.50 questions on UWP Mission to LOYKA, Leena Palekar December 16, 2011

[*]Explain three advantages to General Pierce of delegating responsibility to Colonel Donovan.

[*]Evaluate whether acting with social responsibility can enable UWP Mission to gain a competitive advantage.

[*]Using the organization chart of UWP Mission in Appendix 1, comment on the existing span of control.

[*]Explain the various stages involved in the decision making process about whether to build a university or a hospital in Loyka.

[*]Prepare a SWOT analysis for Kos Palouk’s business. Based on the SWOT analysis, evaluate any 2 opportunities that Kos can benefit from the construction of a new university.

[*]Prepare a SWOT analysis for Kos Palouk’s business. Using your SWOT analysis, discuss the two options available to Kos as he considers expansion of his business.

[*]Prepare a PEST analysis for Loyka.

[*]Explain the advantages and disadvantages of using cell production to construct a hospital.

[*]Outline a suitable marketing mix if Kos supplied his produce to the retailers in Beral.

[*]Examine three economies of scale that Kos may benefit from increasing the scale of his produce distribution business.

[*]Evaluate potential sources of finance for a small produce distribution business like that of Kos to fund the purchase of the following:

• poultry ii) delivery vans iii) refrigerated warehouse

[*]Using Ansoff Matrix, evaluate the strategic options available to companies/individuals seeking private public partnership in the research and development of a new university.

[*]Examine the potential problems Kos may face as a result of expansion into Beral.

[*]Explain how the aims and objectives of a non-profit organization may be different from those of a profit making organization.

[*]Identify three possible sources of finance available to Kos to finance the expansion of his produce distribution business to Beral.

[*]Explain why Kos’ growth plans to Beral are likely to be organic.

[*]Identify three ways in which Kos can improve his working capital position.

[*]Examine possible methods of growth available to Kos if he expands his produce distribution to Beral.

[*]Suggest a possible reorganization of Kos’ business if he expands to Beral.

[*]Suggest possible advantages and disadvantages if Kos were to adopt a new organization structure based on the “process” type, as part of his expansion plans to Beral.

[*]Examine the factors that may influence the choice of recruitment methods used by Kos when he expands to Beral.

[*]Analyze how a social and environmental audit of the two construction projects might benefit the UWP Mission. 50 questions on UWP Mission to LOYKA, Leena Palekar December 16, 2011

[*]Suggest three benefits of carrying out primary research as opposed to secondary research in helping to decide between the two construction projects.

[*]Explain one advantage and one disadvantage for Colonel Donovan of only conducting primary market research.

[*]Explain two problems that Kos might have in building a customer base in new markets in Beral.

[*]Identify two reasons why a bank/financial institution might be reluctant to fund the expansion plans of Kos’ produce distribution business to Beral.

[*]General Pierce would have to use “non financial motivational methods to re-motivate her troops”. Explain how non financial motivational methods might affect job satisfaction and morale of the UWP troops.

[*]“Kos can maximize his scale of operation by supplying his produce to Beral”. Identify four elements involved in the process of setting up a business.

[*]Explain the benefits of using focus groups as opposed to in-depth interviews.

[*]Suggest one benefit and one drawback of using focus groups.

Regarding the social marketing - it is advertising social ideas etc etc right? Like, don't smoke, or don't pollute the environment? In this case what is it? Convincing locals, that UWP Mission has come with positive intentions? Popularizing them among the locals, encouraging peace?

And social/environmental audit, I am not 100% surer I understood those terms - social is when you assess how socially responsible you are? And environmental? From what I found from definitions it is soley about environment in terms of pollution/air etc but it can't be so?

Guest CasaNova

what do you think, which questions are most likely to be on p1?

i thought about 3 non motivational methods? i am almost 100% sure this question will be.. and i have some feeling that there will be question about organizational chart(you know - wide and tall) or something like that is called XD

i know so much, but i just dont know how to express myself in business language.. arghhh