Languages A1 2013 Exam Syllabus Change

For those who have exams in 2013, the syllabus has changed.

I don't see this mentioned a lot in the discussions of this subforum.

That's why the purpose of this topic is to discuss the changes that come with the new syllabus.

For example, we, 2013 exam students, have to do a written assignment that consists of interactive orals, reflective statements, and an essay. These are all based on works studied in part 1. One reflective statement and one essay is to be submitted for external assessment.

Of course I'm not very sure how this works in other IB schools, but we have already done two sets of interactive orals and 2 reflective statements, but I still am not very clear on what is expected of us.

I am taking English A1 - Literature and I'm wondering what the experience is like for other students who are doing the exam in 2013 and if you have even started doing these things as my class has. If you have, I wonder if it's been confusing for you or if your teacher has been clear on what is expected of you for the interactive oral, reflective statement, essay etc.

If you're less confused than I am, maybe you can help. If not, I hope that we can all help each other in this topic's discussion.

I am also doing the new syllabus for English A1 literature. So far I a little bit confused because we are doing different things in English A and Norwegian A even though it is the same thing! In English, we have only read one book, "Wonderful fool" but we have also done some of the short stories in part 4. I have no idea what we will do later but I think my teacher knows and that we are going to do the orals in IB2.

In Norwegian A however, which is exactly the same thing and same syllabus, we have finished 3 books and started with a fourth one. We have also done our individual oral presentation for part 4! It was really easy, you just have to talk about an element you choose from one of the books in part 4 and the answer needs to be found in the book. I talked about how the character in "Naiv.Super" is able to find the meaning of life. So if you talk about the use of a particular literary device you need to find examples from the book! The presentation is for 10 minutes approximately. I know that there is just 1 word lit essay we need to write for the entire course, even if it's HL or SL. But then theres those assignments to it, so it counts more and it is externally graded just like your IOC and paper 1 and 2.

In IB2 we are going to do our individual oral commentary where we talk about a passage or poem and use the same techniques as we use for the written paper 1. That's about all I know about the syllabus! Also, in part 4, we are going to compare books to their movies and then do a presentation on that if we would like to (this is for English.) Let me know if you have any questions!

• 2 weeks later...

I have absolutely and ultimately failed to understand this syllabus change. Our English A1 teacher has seldom mentioned it, and our Arabic A2 teacher often attempts to explain it, to no avail. This is of particular importance to me, as I am trying to drop to Arabic B, which the existence of is unknown to me. I truly hope that an individual will clear up this matter, as I have no idea of what is going on.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Soiboist

Entire part 1 is a bit confusing frankly. You should view interactive oral presentations and supervised writings as a developmental process rather than important tasks. You're not graded on those. Your final written assignment and one reflective statement, developed from ideas gained during interactive orals and supervised writing, are sent of to external assessment in January 2013. Therefore, you should focus on the WA and ensure that you have good reflective statements. We have sent in our WAs for first draft and will now start part 2 of the course with individual oral presentations.

I'm not really sure about the changes to the syllabus: the way our teacher put it, there's not that much changed, only that we study less texts (not sure whether that's true), and apparently Word Lit is called Works in Translation or something like that. It's hard to find a copy of the new syllabus online, but I'm sure your school can get a copy for you (for free, according to the IBO). Us 2013 students will be the first to be examined under the new syllabus :dontgetit: Our teacher didn't mention anything about "reflective statements" though - maybe it's just your school? For orals, it hasn't really been mentioned, but I presume that the "interactive" part would just be getting questions from the audience... To be honest, I think that our teachers are still a bit confused about the new curriculum as well. Hopefully it won't be too drastically changed!

Guest Soiboist

Our teacher didn't mention anything about "reflective statements" though - maybe it's just your school? For orals, it hasn't really been mentioned, but I presume that the "interactive" part would just be getting questions from the audience... To be honest, I think that our teachers are still a bit confused about the new curriculum as well. Hopefully it won't be too drastically changed!

No, it is a requirement to conduct one reflective statement after each interactive oral. In January 2013 your teacher has to send in the written assignment along with an associated reflective statement, showing development of thoughts and ideas gained from the interactive oral. The reflective statement is graded on 3/3 marks.

For clarity, this is how the process for Part 1 is:

Students read works and do interactive oral presentations-> Students write reflective statements on presentations-> Students write supervised writing on ideas gained during presentations -> Students write their final written assignment (25% of entire grade in Language A Literature)

hi ! ,

can somebody please explain to me what do you have to write about in your reflective statement after your written assignment ?

do you write about why u decided to write on the title you chose ?

You do not write the reflective statement after the written assignment (WA). You write your reflective statements directly after the interactive presentations that this part of the course should start with. This is clearly stated in the syllabus, which can be downloaded in the Files section on this website.

• Like 1

For clarity, this is how the process for Part 1 is:

Students read works and do interactive oral presentations-> Students write reflective statements on presentations-> Students write supervised writing on ideas gained during presentations -> Students write their final written assignment (25% of entire grade in Language A Literature)

Is it interactive as in the audience talks back to you during the body of your presentation? Thanks for the clarification as well :) I think I understand the assessment structure better and the reflective statements, and I'll definitely get my teacher to clarify what she's said to us about the new syllabus.

Guest Soiboist

The interactive element of the presentation can be used in whatever way the students or teachers prefer. A discussion, with some students having a leading role, is therefore classified as an interactive oral. We had formal presentations followed by discussion and questions by the class.

Apart from that, does anyone know if the new syllabus requires students to do written commentaries anymore? In the new syllabus there is some mentioning of a literary analysis that must be done in Paper I of the exam but I don't know if that's the commentary itself or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello every user..!!

This is what I am doing for English A1 Literature (HL) course--

1. Two World Literature Essays from Part 1--Goes for external assessment

2. An Individual Oral Presentation from Part 4---Internally assessed and externally moderated

3. An Individual Oral Commentary from Part 2--Internally assessed and externally moderated

And I am having 3 works in part 1, 3 in part 2, 4 in part 3 and 3 in part 4..!!

These work include poems too with them in part 2 and part 4..!!

I want to know that the above mentioned things what I am doing, is it all right for sitting in May 2013 Examinations..??

If any modifications then what

Please help..!!

Thank you so much in advance..!

Cheers..!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Soiboist

Apart from that, does anyone know if the new syllabus requires students to do written commentaries anymore? In the new syllabus there is some mentioning of a literary analysis that must be done in Paper I of the exam but I don't know if that's the commentary itself or not.

As you say, Paper 1 is a type of a commentary where you comment on an unseen prose or an unseen poem. P1 is the only assessed task that is similar to a commentary though.

Hello every user..!!

This is what I am doing for English A1 Literature (HL) course--

1. Two World Literature Essays from Part 1--Goes for external assessment

2. An Individual Oral Presentation from Part 4---Internally assessed and externally moderated

3. An Individual Oral Commentary from Part 2--Internally assessed and externally moderated

And I am having 3 works in part 1, 3 in part 2, 4 in part 3 and 3 in part 4..!!

These work include poems too with them in part 2 and part 4..!!

I want to know that the above mentioned things what I am doing, is it all right for sitting in May 2013 Examinations..??

If any modifications then what

Please help..!!

Thank you so much in advance..!

Cheers..!!! :)

Except for part 1 of the course, everything seems to be alright. Even the number of works seem to correspond exactly to what our HL Literature students do in Swedish.

Now, for part 1 you are following the old course. World Literature does not exist anymore, and the 2 (comparative?) essays students used to do are replaced by 1 Written Assignment. This Written Assignment of 1200-1500 words is an essay investigating a particular aspect of a work studied in part 1. I suppose World Literature essays would be roughly similar, but you cannot submit two essays of course when only one is required. You should talk to your teacher as soon as possible to clear up any confusion.

• 1 month later...

My english teacher went through the new syllabus with us recently so I might be able to shed some light on the subject.

There are four parts and the unseen commentary

Part 1

Works in translation

books (your school may have different books, this is just to give you an idea)

-Chekhov short stories

-One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich

-Fathers and sons, Turgenev

Final Assessment (how this part will be assessed)

-A literary essay on one of the texts, externally assesssed and worth 25% (of your total english mark)

Part 2

Detailed study

-Othello

-Fly away Peter

-Poetry

Final Assessment

-Formal oral commentary, two texts (HL) one text (SL), externally moderated and worth 15%

Part 3

Groups of works (Drama)

-Waiting for Godot

-Street car named desire

-Death of a salesman

Final Assessment

-Paper 2 of exam, externally assessed and worth 25%

Part 4

School's free choice (We're doing Australian literature)

-Australian poetry

-Minimum of two, Winton

-Inheritance, Rayson

Final Assessment

-Formal oral presentation, individual choice of topic, internally assessed and worth 15%

Unseen Commentary

Final Assessment

- Paper 1 of exam, two guiding questions (HL + SL), externally assessed and worth 20%

My english teacher went through the new syllabus with us recently so I might be able to shed some light on the subject.

There are four parts and the unseen commentary

Part 1

Works in translation

books (your school may have different books, this is just to give you an idea)

-Chekhov short stories

-One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich

-Fathers and sons, Turgenev

Final Assessment (how this part will be assessed)

-A literary essay on one of the texts, externally assesssed and worth 25% (of your total english mark)

Part 2

Detailed study

-Othello

-Fly away Peter

-Poetry

Final Assessment

-Formal oral commentary, two texts (HL) one text (SL), externally moderated and worth 15%

Part 3

Groups of works (Drama)

-Waiting for Godot

-Street car named desire

-Death of a salesman

Final Assessment

-Paper 2 of exam, externally assessed and worth 25%

Part 4

School's free choice (We're doing Australian literature)

-Australian poetry

-Minimum of two, Winton

-Inheritance, Rayson

Final Assessment

-Formal oral presentation, individual choice of topic, internally assessed and worth 15%

Unseen Commentary

Final Assessment

- Paper 1 of exam, two guiding questions (HL + SL), externally assessed and worth 20%

Would you, by chance, go to Haileybury; or is it true that APS schools co-ordinate their curriculum?