Help with my project

Twinkle18

Ok to start off my math teacher is horrible she has not given us anything to prepare us for the IB exam. We don't even know what is going to be on it or anything; that’s just a little background information. So recently she has given us our project information and hasn't told us anything but its something we have to do ourselves and that we need to investigate something that we can write up. Well I decided to use the average Body Mass Index, height and weight of teenagers and compare them to my high school track team. After I have decided if they have a normal, under, or over BMI then I was going to compare their athletic abilities. But I have no idea how this is to be organized or what needs to be included (requirements for the project). I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that could help me.

Edited by Deus

Well, I'm not doing Math Studies, but a good first step would be to take a look at the Math Studies syllabus, it should tell you what is required for the project (internal assessment).

Well I am actually in the mathematics SL course I don't know how the title got changed. I looked at the syllabus which helped me with questions that I needed to answer. However I just don't know how to set up the project, organization wise. But thanks for the suggestion really appreciated it.

Edited by Twinkle18

I changed the title. the maths studies IA is called the project while for HL and SL it is called the portfolio. You said project so we assumed it was studies.

For SL then it's even easier. There are set tasks that you have to do.

http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58 Go to this topic, scroll down till you see Internal Assessment Portfolio Tasks 2009 - 2010, download the document for SL. You have to do 1 type I portfolio and 1 type II, so just choose 1 of each and follow instructions. Voila.

It said you can develop your own task, I strongly advice you to NOT DO THIS!!! It's a very complex process and you're better off just take the tasks they have given you

Yes, developing the task can only improve the effort criterion (2 points), but if you screw something up, you risk losing points in other criteria, so it's a risk. I think there are also example IAs on IB Survival, even Math HL IAs should help you if you want to look at the form they are written in.

• 2 weeks later...