Which Chemistry Options do you take?

BIO-AQUA

Chemistry Options  

365 members have voted

1. 1. Which Chemistry Options do you take?

• A. Modern analytical chemistry
    • B. Human biochemistry
    • C. Chemistry in industry and technology
    • D. Medicines and drugs
    • E. Environmental chemistry
    • F. Food chemistry
    • G. Further organic chemistry

I basically just took the IB Chem SL II exam and the option I did (my teacher chose them for me) were option b and c (biochemistry and medicine/drugs). the material was very easy to learn, and as mentioned before, a lot of it is overlapping biology, so if you take both like i did, i would chose those two. i think environmental chemistry may be a good idea if you take bio and chem because my class spent like a whole month on the environment and acid rain, stuff i saw on the test.

Our school is making us do Fuels and Energy and Environmental Chemistry (because honestly, thats the only stuff my teacher can BS her way through - she knows absolutely no chemistry whatsoever; its so frusturating!!!!) Anyways, I am teaching myself Medicine and Drugs, Human Biochemistry, and Modern Analytical Chemistry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm always surprised to hear that people actually had choices as to their options - the ChemFac (and all the other Facs for other subjects) chooses them based on the strengths and interests of the IB teachers. EVERY student in each IB subject is therefore also studying the same materials - which is very useful for help and revision.

Same. Our school gave us no choice and we were forced to do Option A and D although I'm sure it's for the benefits of us. Apparently those two options were the easiest of the bunch.

hey,

i do those two options as well.. i feel sorry for the non-biologists in our class though, because everyone takes biology at higher level except for two people. (in a class of 17)

i like the topics, but i think i'm biased because i take biology as well.

biochemistry is better/easier for me than medicine and drugs though. because medicine and drugs is completely new, and a lot of memorization.

I'm always surprised to hear that people actually had choices as to their options - the ChemFac (and all the other Facs for other subjects) chooses them based on the strengths and interests of the IB teachers. EVERY student in each IB subject is therefore also studying the same materials - which is very useful for help and revision.

Same. Our school gave us no choice and we were forced to do Option A and D although I'm sure it's for the benefits of us. Apparently those two options were the easiest of the bunch.

Ditto here except for we are doing D and E instead. And E is kind of one hell of a bore... :/

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Fuels and Energy option removed from the syllabus?

Our teacher wants us to choose 3 from 4 options: Fuels, Biochem, Industry, and Environmental.

Being a SL Physics student, I would choose Fuels, Industry, and Environmental. However, after checking the new syllabus, it seems like Fuels has already been removed and replaced.

Is my Chemistry teacher on his knockers?

Is the Fuels and Energy option removed from the syllabus?

Our teacher wants us to choose 3 from 4 options: Fuels, Biochem, Industry, and Environmental.

Being a SL Physics student, I would choose Fuels, Industry, and Environmental. However, after checking the new syllabus, it seems like Fuels has already been removed and replaced.

Is my Chemistry teacher on his knockers?

I have never heard of the Fuels and Energy option. but FYI Option B chapter 1 is Energy, and Option C chapter 5 is Fuel cells and rechargeable batteries.

Note that you are required to study only 2 options. So you can go with option C (Chemistry in industry & technology) and option E (Environmental chemistry) only :)

• 1 month later...

I do Human Biochem and Medicines and Drugs...

I HATE them.. I would have loved to take Chem in Industry and Environmental Chem.. I'm not a biology guy, I detest anything to with it.. But, yeah I do guess Medicines and Drugs is cool.. Which high school lot, apart from IB'ers, get to study Heroin and Cocaine? (Are you guys seeing a connection here? :P)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I do Human Biochem and Medicines and Drugs...

I HATE them.. I would have loved to take Chem in Industry and Environmental Chem.. I'm not a biology guy, I detest anything to with it.. But, yeah I do guess Medicines and Drugs is cool.. Which high school lot, apart from IB'ers, get to study Heroin and Cocaine? (Are you guys seeing a connection here? :P)

Took the same options. From all the cramming in 2 hours in my book

Thanks to chemistry Sl/HL study book bought online(:, great savior to me a lot of my fellow classmates.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recommend Medicine and Drugs to anyone. It's seriously the easiest option on the planet. If you can memorize, you'll be good for this option.

I took the wrong route and studied for both my options the night before my paper 3 (I strongly recommend to AVOID doing this :P) but Medicine and Drugs took me 2 hours to study and I knew every answer on the exam.

My second option was Modern Analytical Chemistry. I found this option to be very hard because a) my teacher didn't teach this option very well AT ALL and b) The study guide/course companion was utter crap for this option. Didn't go over what we needed for the syllabus. Since I didn't realize any of this until the night before, I decided to learn the option rather than turning to another option (which I should have done. Further organic chem is so soft). I found this GODLY website that helped me for Modern Analytical Chemistry (again, this was 2 a.m. the night before my Paper 3. Any help at this point was godly :P)and although I didn't know how to answer every question on my paper 3 for this option, this website helped so much. http://www.chemguide.co.uk/analysismenu.html#top This website saved my butt for Paper 3 and I will forever be grateful lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My teacher doesn't really make it clear what options we do.

However I believe we study human biochemistry and medicine/drugs for HL at my school.

And I'm studying further organic chemistry on my own as a back-up just in case. I think I'm one of the few people I know that actually like organic chem, lol.

However I believe we study human biochemistry and medicine/drugs for HL at my school.

And I'm studying further organic chemistry on my own as a back-up just in case. I think I'm one of the few people I know that actually like organic chem, lol.

i love organic chemistry..once you get it, it will become so fun...its like a web of path ways!

i love organic chemistry..once you get it, it will become so fun...its like a web of path ways!

I know! It's a lot of pathways, but they're all really interesting!