EE for language B

Emily

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#9932cc"]I am doing language B for English which is higher level

I have the thought of doing EE in this subject.

I don't know if it is ok for doing this :D , and would it have the possibility to get a better mark or it has many difficulties.

Thanks for sharing your opinions......[/color][/font]

Language B (= Group 2) EEs are generally considered quite difficult, and it is not a very popular group to do an EE in. English, however, is an exception to this. Many candidates who study English A2 or English B actually speak it at a level close to that of a native. Hence, for them it isn't hard to do an EE in English, as they speak it fluently and have no problems with grammar and vocabulary. Unfortunately this also means that an EE in English B means that the correctness of grammar and level of vocabulary is rather high - almost as high as that of a native speakers. Therefore, if you aren't completely fluent with English, it would not be a good idea to do an EE on it.

Now, judging from the few lines of text you wrote above, I would say that you are not completely fluent in English, or at least have some problems in writing it. If writing in English is difficult for you and you make lots of grammatical mistakes, I would not recommend doing your EE in English, as it'll be hard for you to score well in it.

When it comes to the topic of the EE, it doesn't have to be comparing two books like kyoran suggested, you can also pick an "easier" topic that deals with the use of the English language in general. For example, this could be a study of English in advertisements, media. On the other hand, you could also make a study of a cultural phenomenon, but obviously this would have to be within the limits of the cultures of English speaking countries.

Hope this helped you a bit :D

you have 3 options for english B EE:

1. literature, comparing 2 works- I think they can be either world literature or english lit.

2. the language itself (v. boring and difficult)

3. discussing a social issue in countries where the language is used as the first language in the country.

Joel, think about it this way! the chick is probably doing her diploma in english, as there is no chinese diploma! her english B EE will help her in developing her language skills (I know this because the same happened to me with my Arabic B EE :D ) so she's better off concentrating on some social issue and writing a C EE on it, than doing it in something else and managing the same grade anyway due to her English. My friends aren't fluent in English but they were encouraged to do English B EE because it was easier than doing it in any other subject!

• Like 1

Im working on my English A2 EE now, and I chose the language option.

In my own opinion, literature option required too much literal analysis and the soci-cultural option is too broad.

I actually started off with a socio-cultural topic, but I found hard to write an 4000 words essay with it. To be honest, you will always change your topic when doing background research. For me, I used to think of doingsomething related to bilingualism, but I am writting about linguistics and language proficiency now.

Generally, I think you should pick an area you wanna write about now, and just look for studies related to the area. You will get alot of inspirations.

• 12 years later...
On 3/30/2008 at 9:00 PM, deissi said:

Language B (= Group 2) EEs are generally considered quite difficult, and it is not a very popular group to do an EE in. English, however, is an exception to this. Many candidates who study English A2 or English B actually speak it at a level close to that of a native. Hence, for them it isn't hard to do an EE in English, as they speak it fluently and have no problems with grammar and vocabulary. Unfortunately this also means that an EE in English B means that the correctness of grammar and level of vocabulary is rather high - almost as high as that of a native speakers. Therefore, if you aren't completely fluent with English, it would not be a good idea to do an EE on it.

Now, judging from the few lines of text you wrote above, I would say that you are not completely fluent in English, or at least have some problems in writing it. If writing in English is difficult for you and you make lots of grammatical mistakes, I would not recommend doing your EE in English, as it'll be hard for you to score well in it.

When it comes to the topic of the EE, it doesn't have to be comparing two books like kyoran suggested, you can also pick an "easier" topic that deals with the use of the English language in general. For example, this could be a study of English in advertisements, media. On the other hand, you could also make a study of a cultural phenomenon, but obviously this would have to be within the limits of the cultures of English speaking countries.

Hope this helped you a bit :D

I'm currently looking into a German B HL EE because I have lived in germany since I was 4 years old and am pretty fluent in it. My other subjects include: Physics HL, Maths Analysis HL, Global Politics HL, English A SL, Sapnish B Sl. Which one of these topics do you think would be the best overall for an EE.

• 3 months later...
On 10/25/2020 at 1:58 AM, YAboiz said:

I'm currently looking into a German B HL EE because I have lived in germany since I was 4 years old and am pretty fluent in it. My other subjects include: Physics HL, Maths Analysis HL, Global Politics HL, English A SL, Sapnish B Sl. Which one of these topics do you think would be the best overall for an EE.

Hi! I' currently writing my EE in Swedish B HL and it's honestly quite easy. I grew up in Hong Kong but moved to Sweden 10 years ago. Yet I still chose to write in Swedish. It all depends on how up-to-date your German is and if you are a natural in German then go for it! Since Swedish isn't a common in EE, my supervisor (my Swedish teacher) only had me as her EE student, meaning she always had time for my EE so I really recommend it. I'd say if you went to German schools and had a grade C or above in the subject you should have it as your EE :) hope it helps!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2021 at 8:02 PM, traceee said:

Hi! I' currently writing my EE in Swedish B HL and it's honestly quite easy. I grew up in Hong Kong but moved to Sweden 10 years ago. Yet I still chose to write in Swedish. It all depends on how up-to-date your German is and if you are a natural in German then go for it! Since Swedish isn't a common in EE, my supervisor (my Swedish teacher) only had me as her EE student, meaning she always had time for my EE so I really recommend it. I'd say if you went to German schools and had a grade C or above in the subject you should have it as your EE :) hope it helps!

Hey thanks a lot for the info! This is a super confident boost especially considering my situation right now. The thing is that I had a my EE planned and everything but the rule I wasn't aware of was that the book can't be anything we have seen in class. Now im in a hurry to find a detailed (but not too specific) EE topic over which I could actually write enough about. What topic did you choose?

• 5 months later...

Hey! I am also planning on writting my EE in Swedish B. I have to send in my suggestions today but I honestly do not know what to write about- could you give me some suggestions? Thank you!! :)

• 1 year later...

Hi! Fellow IB student from Sweden here. I’m also considering if I should do my extended essay in Swedish B, so I’m wondering how did it go for you?