A "Literature" & "Literature and Language" - an explanation!

Great post. :) I think both of the syllabi are in the files section. :)

Edit:

No problem, I just looked for the syllabi some time ago so I knew they were there. :D

I can add information on the course as I go through with it, I'll update on what is going on in the class, what we're doing. Basically, now we're doing the 4th part of the course (I'm in L&L) which is essentially the same as in the old syllabus. :) We have to write something called Written Task for this part, which is basically creative writing: 800-1,000 words (plus a rationale) in any form we like (I'm probably going to write a short story or a letter) which has to be "as if it could be fitted into some place in a book/series of poems that we've read". So, as we've read a book on Soviet Gulag camps, if I want to, I can write a letter as one of the prisoners to his wife. But it has to be a prisoner that was mentioned in a book, who has a wife to write to etc. :) It has to be something that could be true for the characters in the book. I hope I explained it well. As I move on to the next part of the course, I'll update you.

I also have an IOC in March on the works studied in the Part 4. :)

Edited by Gaby
  • Like 1

Guest Soiboist

Great post and summary!

Just to clarify, for both HL and SL "an interactive group/class oral which is individually assessed" is a bit more complicated. Students are to make at least 2 Further Oral Activities on Part 1 and Part 2 of the course respectively. One could view them as a more creative form of IOPs that ought to show understanding of texts covered in class. These are internally assessed and not recorded, but the subject guide says that they still are externally moderated. Do you have any idea, Sandwich, how moderators are to grade something that they haven't seen? :P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Soiboist

Grade boundaries change every year depending on student performance, so it is quite unpredictable when it comes to one specific year. However, over a period of several years the boundaries only fluctuate mildly, so that the difference constitutes a few percentage at most. You can see the grade boundaries for the old A2 course, they will supposedly be rather similar to Language and Literature.

• 2 months later...

I couldn't disagree with your insistence that L+L is for those who are less comfortable with their level of fluency. Both courses are suitable for fluent speakers, and both contain very challenging topics. To say that if your language skills aren't up to scratch you should do L+L is a horrible and misleading comment that might be the downfall of any IB students reading your post... I myself take English L+L and frequently compare the course to English Lit and find them both to be challenging, but in no way is L+L far easier.

I couldn't disagree with your insistence that L+L is for those who are less comfortable with their level of fluency. Both courses are suitable for fluent speakers, and both contain very challenging topics. To say that if your language skills aren't up to scratch you should do L+L is a horrible and misleading comment that might be the downfall of any IB students reading your post... I myself take English L+L and frequently compare the course to English Lit and find them both to be challenging, but in no way is L+L far easier.

Neither course is really intended for a non-fluent speaker, but I didn't mean to imply that and apologise if I did. If you really aren't fluent, I would suggest doing the B Language. Relative to each other, Literature & Language versus Literature alone, Literature is a more rigorous course. However both require you to have a command of the language you're doing it in - after all, both do have aspects of literature in and you have to be sufficiently capable in order to read literature in the chosen language. The main point of this post was to give people some ideas as to which they might want to go for in terms of choosing between them as opposed to choosing between an A course and a B level course.

When I said that if you struggle in your main language, I do mean struggle in the sense of not getting great grades in/being that good at it before - not literally struggle to speak it and not be fluent! I'd assume that everybody would be fluent in their 'main' language, or they would literally be a person without language and basic communication skills.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I would say that the major difference between Language and Literature and Literature course are the type of texts you look at throughout the course.

'Lang and Lit' doesn't only focus on books/novels/poems/etc (50% of the course does), however, it also focuses on media/articles/newspaper/speeches/etc.

It is much more varied. The type of the texts you look in the 'Literature' part of the course is exactly the same as what you look at in Language A: Literature.

I know about this because curently I am doing English: Language and Literature. However, I just changed from Literature, so I know about both courses.

If you were to choose between the two, I would say, go for Lang & Lit because you will be more exposed to different types of texts and learn how to analyse any type of text, which would also be useful in the Literature course.

Although, if you want to study English in the future, go for the Literature course because English at University level focuses mainly on books/novels/poems rather than media/articles/etc.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey guys.... I need help.

Could anyone pleeease tell me if it's possible to take up Self-taught Language and Lit classes?

I recently moved to another country and My new IB Coordinator told me to self-study literature, but before I had Language and Literature, not only Literature (L+L is easier for me) so I checked the guide but couldn't find anything about self-taught students.

So... is it possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I don't think it's fair at all to say that LL is 'easier' than Lit!

A better comparison would be how traditional they are, which would probably explain your (perceived by me) bias towards Lit, since Lit is generally received better by English departments; I do agree with that sentiment of yours!

LL would probably be more appropriate if you intend to study Media- just putting my two cents in here

• 3 months later...

Heey, I need help too.

I am (apparently, my school is a chaos) doing the L+L HL in Spanish for the November examinations, but we've been working with the Old guide and doing like a lot of the old work (Like the comparative essay, the creative text and the oral commentary in poetry), and we happened to find TODAY, 1 month before due date, the guide for the 2013 examinations. What should we do? :/

Sue the school...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thank you so much everyone! You've actually helped me decide between the two courses!

Just wondering if it's ok to take two language As? (I'm completely fluent in both English and German, so I'm thinking of taking English A literature and German A language and literature, both at higher level.)