Nov 2008, May 2009 Title 9

zengziong

hi..

im doing title 9 for Nov 2008 and May 2009. imi quite unsure of how to format the essay and dunno what possible counter claims there are...

thks alot for any kind of hlp...

Title 9: “The knowledge that we value the most is the knowledge for which we can provide the strongest justifications.” To what extent would you agree with this claim?

• 2 months later...

hi zengziong

i too am doing this topic for mt tok essay and i too am struggling.

i have thought of things such as ' yes i agree with the claim' because justified knowledge supports our personal beliefs

-look at the ways of knowing, and types of knowledge.

how do we justify and why? what is valued knowledge

these areall things to think about.

could you do me a favour. keep me posted on your progress and i will kepp you posted with mine. maybe we can get thru this together? lol.

I wouldn't agree with the claim, but this topic seems highly subjective, as what a person values has is individual for the person. So I think you need to sit down and look at what you personally value and don't value and for what reasons, then look at how strong the justifications of this knowlegde is. This is a highly personal topic so I think you can't really get an answer from someone on an internet forum, I think the things that will get you a high mark with this topic are giving heaps of personal examples and very strong personal voice, with an answer combining all the ways of knowing to get your answer. I hope this helps. But I would check with your teacher before following any of this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Lily Bean
I wouldn't agree with the claim, but this topic seems highly subjective, as what a person values has is individual for the person. So I think you need to sit down and look at what you personally value and don't value and for what reasons, then look at how strong the justifications of this knowlegde is. This is a highly personal topic so I think you can't really get an answer from someone on an internet forum, I think the things that will get you a high mark with this topic are giving heaps of personal examples and very strong personal voice, with an answer combining all the ways of knowing to get your answer. I hope this helps. But I would check with your teacher before following any of this.

I agree with this completely.

I think also belief and faith are some good points to bring into this essay, especially if you have a religious belief. But to do that you will definitely have to decide how belief/faith tie in or qualify as knowledge, and how much you can justify your belief. I think it's also important to make sure you know what 'justification' is - is it to prove it to others your knowledge, or is your ability to explain to yourself, and not necessarily to convince others?

you can talk about confirmation bias, and how we only take into consideration the knowledge that supports our claims but ignore the knowledge or information that goes against it.

and you should also talk about how we provide this justification, is it just emotional beliefs or hard facts and proof?

hope this helps! =)

heey

i was considering this question but i havent decided yet

here is some notes i wrote for this question:

•Define strong justifications and what strong justifications in different points of view are.

•Is all the information we give justified: what is justified and what is not?

•Is knowledge of horrible things like knowing of a murder and keeping silent a good knowledge if it has strong justifications?

•Define the word "value"

•Give an example of a debate situation

these are just some ideas hope they help!!

• 2 weeks later...
hey, do you guys recommend that I define truth(knowledge), justification and value in the opening paragraph itself, or gradually throughout the essay? I'm leaning towards defining it in the opening paragraph, then providing my signposts to my essay.... plz comment if you like this approach or not

I think that if you write an essay that is relevant to the the actual subject "tok", and the structure and content of the essay are of a high quality then the definition of truth should be evident throughout and developed thoughtout the essay, I would advise against defining it in the introduction.

• 4 weeks later...

yes i do not think that you should address all those issues in the introduction since they are of great importance and make up a huge part of the essay (almost all of it) and I therefore advise that you develop them as you try to make your "points". an interesting question when reading this title is that maybe we do value the knowledge for which we can provide the strongest justifications for the most, but SHOULD it be this way? on what do we base our knowledge or our justifications and are we sometimes to closed minded to see and understand other points of view? are our justifications based on fallacies?

A counter claim might be how highly religious people value their religious views, even more than science even though there is little proof supporting these beliefs

I agree in the fact that the "value" of religious belief can far outweigh the proof derived from scientific proof.

A very important subject could be the way we value information associated with evolution vs. creative design

I am also doing this question for my tok essay.

I was planning to say I do agree with the claim but in the end point out that their is no way of objectively judging what a "strong justification" is and that it depends on every person.

Any ideas on how to organize the essay?

In my opinion if you ask a highly religious person what knowledge they value the most is the existence of god much more than the scientific facts, if you ask them to give you proof that god does in fact exist they have lots of different ways of justifing gods existance (bible, church, "miracles", etc.) even if these justifications arent valid in science can they be considered stong justifications?

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys

i was wondering if anyone could give me a hand. i am writing my TOK essay on topic 9, the one about the knowledge which we value the most it the knowledge which we can most strongly justify. i am having problems definign what is personal knowledge and what is impersonal knowledge. has anyone done this title. i am extremely stuck about how to go about answering the question. i have done a bit about justification thru history and science but apart from that i'm extremely stuck... HELP!