Defining culture

MattO

So the topic is 'can we have beliefs or knowledge which are independent of our culture' I have tried to define culture as as being a group of people or peoples who hold the same or similar values, whether it be religious or political, and when a situation arises, would have similar views on the subject. Can anyone tell me if this would be a valid definition, thanks :D

Hi! I think your definition is a good one. Although its probably a good idea to state the strenghts and limitations of your definition in your presentation. It is a hard concept to define. You could compare your definition to Matsumoto's, Kuschel's, Looner's, or Hofstede's definitions. (For example: "according to Lonner, culture can be defined as common rules that regulate interacions and behaviour in a group as well as a number of shared values and attitudes to this group." And then you could relate the definition to your topic.

good luck!