IOP - Culture Setting in One Who Threw Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Hi, I'm new here and I wasn't quite sure on where I should post this topic anyways an infraction is the least of my problems atm.

To the topic at hand, I have to do my IOP on tuesday. It's not a struggle for me since I was in debate for 2 years so my presentation skills are great. It's actually the analyzing/understanding that I'm having problems with. This is my topic: The Culture Setting in the book One Who Threw Over the Cuckoo's Nest. For those of you who haven't even heard of the book can you help me out on how I can relate/analyze the culture setting to the actual plot or the author's intention of displaying the culture this way. And, those who have can you suggest some examples that I can use for this book?

If you feel as if I'm asking for too much, please feel free to give me any tips not on the presentation skills line though.

Thank you so much, I'm looking forward to all the replies

Edited by Alex4red

Well, it's pretty straight forwards. You have a topic and have been given the task of analysing it. So, analyse it! What is the cultural setting? i.e. where are they, when are they, what group/level of people in society are they?

How do these things affect the book? What cultural elements (language, time references, social group etc.) can you spot? How do these contribute to the book - what do they add/detract? It might help you to identify these things to imagine what it would be like without them - or in a different time/place/group etc. and then consider how the actual setting the author used is important.

You must be able to think of at least some things :blink: I don't know if you were given the topic or you picked it, but either one of those means somebody presumably put some thought into it - be it the teacher or yourself - so that must have been on the basis of some content relating to culture that's obvious to analyse.

Just sit and think about it for a bit. If you did debating you should be used to thinking on your feet and picking holes/analysing ideas and concepts so you can answer points of information and answer back. It's exactly the same skills, just applied to a novel.

• Like 1