IOP score?

KIKE12

OMG seriously??? I hate my teacher...Our school is really rigged. Since there's 200 candidates per grade we are just a number in the face of the teachers. And we have 2 English HL teachers (everyone has to take HL), one is super strict personality wise but extremly linient when grading (about 15 kids out of her 100 got 30s in the IOP). My teacher is the sweatest small lady that loves english and loves reading to us and is the biggest bitch in the world, excuse my french. She takes assignments too strictly. Not only did she not give us a score when we were done, but she was overly strict on the grading. Here's what she was thinking about the IOP:

There's 100 of you guys and no one can have the same IOP topic, so you will all have to think of different ORIGINAL ideas to talk about from the 2 books and poems we've read so far. Now I don't want to hear the same things we disscussed in class, so since you have up to 15 minutes to talk, I expect everyone to come up with at LEAST 5 original ideas about your topic, ideas never mentioned in class or in any webpage or book analisis. You can't bring more than 5 notecards with 3 facts per card. I'm stupid in math so I don't take into account that i'm asking you guys to get 500 original ideas on two books, but that's OK because this is English not math. And if anyone mentions the fact that the other teacher is being less strict about the IOP then you will just have to deal with it because there's nothing you can do about it.

Now I knew how this teacher works so I talked for 15 minutes out of the 30 minutes I had prepared. I had 12 original ideas about two disticnt poems and talked about discrimination and intolerance in Frost's and Hughes' poems "Mending Wall" and "The Colored Soldier" (another RULE about the IOP was that you had to be extremely specific in the topic. For example, Comparing the theme of intolerance in the two poems by Frost and Hughes isn't specific enough. Comparing the theme of intolerance in the two poems by Frost and Hughes and how their styles of writing support the theme isnt specific enough either! I mean COME ON what style of writing? It's too broad give me something more specific. Comparing the theme of intolerance in the two poems by Frost and Hughes and how the diction and syntax ALONE support this theme. She only agreed to let me use this "super broad" topic because she was tired of making me rewrite it.

Even after I talked for 15 minutes with 12 original ideas about diction and syntax ALONE on only two poems, she gave me something between a 22 and 25. Now if anyone dares say that this was a just score I'll gently ask them why and then tell them to **** off. Sorry about my language it's just that it's really frustrating knowing that half of your class was scored on easy by the strict teacher and the rest are screwed because this teacher is so old she doesn't even know what 100 times 5 is. And if you're thinking that IB will correct this if they see that all scores are low, think again, because they take ALL the scores, so they're going to see fifteen 30s from the other teacher and say that out of 200 kids it seems rational or maybe even too easy, meaning that my already low 22 might go even lower. Now tell me that IB takes into account every student...

Well...the unfairness of grading happens at EVERY school.

My school has 2 HL teachers...

In one class EVERYONE gets an A, some even get A+s while the other teacher give Bs and Cs to most of his students.

And a lot of these students who got Bs and Cs in the latter teacher's class performed way better than those who got As in the easy teacher's class last year.

But what can you do...sigh. The school doesn't even care when we talk to them about this!

Edited by chang9121990

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are unfair teachers wherever you go, but it's easier to be unfair in the languages since they're not set in stone like math. We have four teachers in English A1, and three of them are very lenient about teaching but then grade very strictly and don't understand why everyone does poorly.

Luckily we have only one teacher for English A1. I never understand the way he grades papers, though, as they vary all the time. It's ironic though because I know for sure that he would have asked you to make your title shorter. The first option is too broad, but I think the second option would be just perfect. The third one, he's say something like "you have to have a title on the header and a thesis in your essay, not both on the header and in the essay".