Favourite poem that you studied or read?

PurpleVixen

• 1 month later...

I personally love Emily Dickinson. My favorites by her are "I'm Nobody! Who are you?", "I never hear the word 'escape'", "I felt a funeral in my brain", "How dreary - to be - Somebody!", "I stepped from plank to plank", and "The Soul selects her own Society"

Guest Zoya (aka: ziasha)

even i love poetry .. i love Wordsworth and Robert frost :P

I write poems too, i did one on Nora, A doll's house for my IOP :):P

Edited by Zoya

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Poetry is one of my favourite aspects of English, and in my lessons we studied Seamus Heaney, who I actually really enjoyed. There are so many themes within his works, and the fact he uses events that have actually happened to him adds an extra something to his poems.

Other poems I enjoyed (at GCSE) were Hawk Roosting by Ted Hughes, Out of the Blue by Simon Armitage, Mametz Wood by Owen Sheers (we did war poetry by the way :P) but I like so many other poems really there are to many amazing poems/poets out there to list on here :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I enjoyed a poem called full moon and little frieda by Ted Hughes, I studied the poem during igcse and it was the only one that i found intresting. This is probably because it was very easy to analayse and get good grades :shifty:

• 4 weeks later...

Ones we studied for English lit:

"The Moon and the Yew Tree" By Sylvia Plath (usually find her stuff quite depressing but this one's got some gorgeously gothic imagery)

"The Whitsun Weddings"/"MCMXIV"/"A Study on Reading Habits" all by Philip Larkin

"Red" by Ted Hughes (the last line is really touching I find)

But I'm also abit of a poetry lover (partly because I'm a touch lazy so can't be bothered to get into novels most of the time!) so could go on and on: particularly like the Romantics (Keats, Coleridge, Byron, not so much Wordsworth)...

It's a shame that everyone has preconceptions about it (esp. from school) when there's just as much variety in poetry as in novels: a poem out there for everyone in my opinion :proud:

Don't get me wrong, but I really love the poetry of Sylvia Plath! Probably my favourite poems by her are either Ariel or Daddy and despite the fact that they are quite morbid to a certain extent, I really like them!

I also find Full Moon and Little Frieda by Ted Hughes so beautiful, especially in the way he portrays his wonder and awe towards his daughter, and The Voice by Thomas Hardy was so melancholy and touching, so they definitely are faves of mine too :)

• 2 months later...

maybe Annabel Lee by Edgar Allan Poe

I appreciate how hard to write poetry is, although I hate hate hate analysing poems

YES !

Not usually a great fan of over analysis and bs-ing, but I did enjoy Electra on azalea path, daddy and morning song, all by Plath.

Otherwise, Duffy is a mysandrist who wrote terrifying poetry...

I despised Duffy but she is PISS to analyse. Made my P2 easy to get 25/25 in.