Portfolio Type 1 Investigating Divisibility HELP!

eel7x6

I'm stuck on trying to prove and explain the relationship between P(k+1) - P(k) and the Pascal Triangle.

EDIT: Nevermind. I got that part down. I just need to write the expression for the xth row of Pascal's Triangle. But I'm not sure I'm all with the description in one of the first posts. Could anyone explain it a bit more?

Edited by oathblivion

I'm stuck on trying to prove and explain the relationship between P(k+1) - P(k) and the Pascal Triangle.

EDIT: Nevermind. I got that part down. I just need to write the expression for the xth row of Pascal's Triangle. But I'm not sure I'm all with the description in one of the first posts. Could anyone explain it a bit more?

Hey I've got this investigation to complete as well. I noticed alot of these posts are from a while ago. Can anyone who completed this investigation possibly send me a copy? I need to see the steps I'm getting stuck in some of the proofs. Don't worry I'm not interested in stealing anyone's work. I just wanna see if my steps and my math match up because im really struggling.

Thank you!!!

My email is [email protected]

Anything would be helpful :P

the xth row of pascal's triangle is just { [x!/(x-0)!0!], [x!/(x-1)!1!],.....[x!/(x-x)!x!] } right?

but i also noticed that k is sometimes a multiple of x when x is not prime...in pascal's triangle.

for example in the 8th row, when r=1,3,6 & 7, k is a multiple of 8.

why does this happen? how can i draw conclusions from this? should i just leave it out and say it only works for the whole row if the row is prime?

somebody help!!

• 2 weeks later...
Please ask specifically what kind of help you need. I don't think anyone will be able to provide help when it is not specified where you need help :P

What exactly is "the converse" of the conjecture, if a conjecture was something along the lines of "It's only divisible by its respective x, when x is a prime number"? I'm not 100% sure I know what converse means, even after a visit to the dictionary.

• 1 month later...

I think that I have worked out this investigation in general, although there a few things that worry me:

*for the first question about factorisation - is there any in depth explanation required, should i look at rational roots (as opposed to just natural roots), should i look for patterns in the factorisations, even if i don't think they are related to any other part of the investigation, and do these factorised forms have any real relevance, except when deducing the divisibilty of the expression for x=2,3,5... is this the only purpose of this question?!

*When exploring more cases in question 1, should the main focus just be supporting what is shown through the divisibility of the expression for x=2,3,4,5, or are they look for some specific othere cases here?

*I'd also like to check my assumption that generating a spreadsheet of results for the expression using excel is sufficient for the "appropriate technology" clause

*When question 2 and 3 ask for refining and reconsideration of the conjecture, is this really necessary? In my opinion, although these steps simplify the process of porving the original conjecture, they don't really put any doubt in my mind about the conjecture made clear from the results of question 1. Am i missing something, or is this what everything else found as well?

*I was also wondering whether people thought that question 4 was very short.. like there appears to be nothing much at all to write if one sticks strictly to the question.. should i actualy prove it, or disprove it, or is there really no need...?

Ta

I am confused with question 3. I know that xCr equals k. and that k is a multiple of x when x is prime but only for 0<r<x, but i do not know what conclusions it wants me to make. i don't want the answer, i just don't know where to go from here...

any hints would be great.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

guys stop trying to ask people to send you their portfolio. It is called cheating.

anyways.

For the relationship between P(K+1) - P(K), i still don't quite get it.

i realised if you expand P(K+1)-P(K), the coefficient of the expansion of P(K+1)-P(K) is the pascal triangle.

Does that have anything to do with the relationship?

and for the Fermat's Little Theorem, which question (and which part of that question) is that for?

thanks in advance

Edited by Jonathan

Is it possible someone can post their IA online. or email me at [email protected]
Hey I've got this investigation to complete as well. I noticed alot of these posts are from a while ago. Can anyone who completed this investigation possibly send me a copy? I need to see the steps I'm getting stuck in some of the proofs. Don't worry I'm not interested in stealing anyone's work. I just wanna see if my steps and my math match up because im really struggling.

Thank you!!!

My email is [email protected]

Anything would be helpful

do you have any copy or advice that could be helpful?

This is not allowed. It's cheating and against the forum and IB regulations.

• 2 weeks later...

We can't give you proper answer, thats basically cheating. Just like I tell everyone who keeps everything to the last minute..why are you still doing it when its due tomorrow?! You shouldnt have procrastinated all this time then come asking for answers.

Did you check to see if your question is mentioned anywhere here?