Is IB just as hard as university?

nonstop

I'm in Grade 11 IB (aka Year 1) in an Ontario public school and my question is, if I'm getting 70s on my report card, is university going to give me higher marks? I know that the general perception is that your marks decrease by 5-15% as you transition from high school to uni but that I think only applies to the Academic (ie regular high school) program. IB is significantly harder than Academic in my school atleast.

My coordinator says that IB is harder than anything you will ever do in your future, but he's probably biased. I've heard that IB is just as hard as first year but then university gets harder. I've hard from separate sources that first-year uni is the hardest of all 4 years (ie it gets easier). I even know IB graduates who end up doing mediocre in university.

There's just so much conflicting information out there. I'd love to know your opinion on the issue.

Well I think it depends partly on your talents, the University and of course what course you do.

I find my University course harder than IB in many respects. It's difficult to call - University has been very difficult, but then now I'm taking subjects I'm good at rather than compulsory subjects I suck at (Maths) so in that sense even though it's hard, I feel less out of my depth now than I did before. Intellectually I've not struggled with anything as much as I struggled with IB Maths.

On the other hand, if you think there's a lot of content to learn for the IB you'll be laughing at how naiive you were when you get to Uni. You have to learn in a single lecture what you used to spend a week doing. Then you have to teach it to yourself and consider the fact you might have 4-5 lectures a day, plus have to do extra reading to get the top grades. Content-wise, IB = paddling, Uni = drowning.

Generally I think Uni is hard. For sure my marks have gone down, but grading is on a totally different scale here from at school. Back there 80% was a 7. Here, 70% is a 1st and you should be damn proud if you get one of those XD

• Like 5

I have a friend who finished IB last year and is at Harvard taking English now - he came back over Christmas and told us struggling DP kids that high school was harder than Harvard :) Then again, he is a super-genius, so I guess it depends both on you and the university you go to.

I've heard that IB is harder than university from a lot of returning students too. Like, not harder in terms of the content (goes w/o saying), but harder in terms of the workload.

But it really depends in which school you do the IB. From the perspective of the IBO, IB is just 6 courses with a couple of IAs and an exam each and the EE/CAS thrown in, which really isn't too stressful, but in my school we have like tests/quizzes/presentations/assignments due every day. We were literally given a weekend to read King Lear on our own.

Well I think it depends partly on your talents, the University and of course what course you do.

I find my University course harder than IB in many respects. It's difficult to call - University has been very difficult, but then now I'm taking subjects I'm good at rather than compulsory subjects I suck at (Maths) so in that sense even though it's hard, I feel less out of my depth now than I did before. Intellectually I've not struggled with anything as much as I struggled with IB Maths.

Generally I think Uni is hard. For sure my marks have gone down, but grading is on a totally different scale here from at school. Back there 80% was a 7. Here, 70% is a 1st and you should be damn proud if you get one of those XD

What? For us, a 96 + is a 7...

I hear people say that university is easier, but some how I'm not convinced! It depends on the university program I guess

Edited by SmilingAtLife:)

I hear people say that university is easier, but some how I'm not convinced! It depends on the university program I guess

That's the weird Canadian internal grading system, it boosts everything to artificially high numbers. So 96 is a 7, but it's also quite possible to obtain 96% if you put the effort in because (one assumes) the exams are easy. Or some other mysterious way of twisting numbers to unrealistically high levels, anyway! Are Canadian %s based on classwork and homework? Because that might also underlie it! Anyway I'm not 100% sure how it is that grades suffer the massive inflation that goes on in Canada!

When you sit your actual IB exams, the IB level for a 7 is around 80% - but because the exams are harder, it's very difficult to get above 80%! If you can get 96% in your final IB exams you're a helluva brain :P

Yea, well... The way I see it, having taken a pretty tough subject combo in the Diploma programme and now studying Chemical engineering in Finland's most respected technical university (Aalto), is that IB definitely is a quite a bit easier for a number of reasons. I mean obviously the IB prepares you for academic and critical thinking that you won't necessarily get in regular high school curriculum, which has definitely been useful for me, but the amount of work still doesn't match what I'm doing here. I mean a single course exam can cover as much material as the entire IB syllabus for say Chem HL. For instance, I had my first organic chemistry course in the autumn and the course material was a oxford university book; out of which the course covered 360 pages of pretty heavy chemistry. And then there's the other practice work that is pretty essential if you want to pass a course without killing yourself before the exam, which is a lot more than homework on IB.

Having said that, it really depends on what your going to study, because in engineering sciences universities expect you to have a good basis in math and other sciences, whereas when you start studying psychology for example the course might begin right from the basics.

Edited by ocfx

That's the weird Canadian internal grading system, it boosts everything to artificially high numbers. So 96 is a 7, but it's also quite possible to obtain 96% if you put the effort in because (one assumes) the exams are easy. Or some other mysterious way of twisting numbers to unrealistically high levels, anyway! Are Canadian %s based on classwork and homework? Because that might also underlie it! Anyway I'm not 100% sure how it is that grades suffer the massive inflation that goes on in Canada!

When you sit your actual IB exams, the IB level for a 7 is around 80% - but because the exams are harder, it's very difficult to get above 80%! If you can get 96% in your final IB exams you're a helluva brain :P

@SmilingatLife - I think you're thinking of it backwards. You get a 7 if you score 80%+ or whatever the grade boundary is for that subject, according what IB sets. If you get a 7 according to those IB standards, then your mark for that subject on your Ontario diploma gets converted to 96%+. So if I got 85% in IB chemistry, then I would get a 7, according to IB mark boundaries. That 85% would get converted to 96% or higher for my Ontario grade. If the IB boundary was 96% for a 7, it would be extremely difficult to get a 7 in any subject! :P

If your teachers are telling you that you need to get 96% or higher on your IB exams to get a 7, then they aren't doing it right! Show the the IB grade boundaries and explain to them that they convert to 96% AFTER you get a 7 according to the grade boundaries.

@Sandwich - Yes Canadian %s can be based on classwork but usually IB stuff has a higher effect on your grades. It's a mind-boggling system at times, I know :P

To reply to the original question, I've heard that people find first year easier because the workload in IB and first year is pretty much the same or less.

• Like 1

I am honestly so confused about the marks looking at what people above said. My school says 96+ is a 7...so confused. I finished Grade 11 HL Chem with an 88..so that is a 5?

Anyways, at my school IB is considered first/second year university coursework. I think what you gain mainly that will help you in university are analytical skills and good work habits.

I am honestly so confused about the marks looking at what people above said. My school says 96+ is a 7...so confused. I finished Grade 11 HL Chem with an 88..so that is a 5?

Anyways, at my school IB is considered first/second year university coursework. I think what you gain mainly that will help you in university are analytical skills and good work habits.

96+ is a 7, but after your grade has been converted. If you finished chem with an 88 after conversion (ie if you got 88 on your report card) then that corresponds to a 5. If you got an 88 before conversion, then you got a 7 as the IB boundary for a 7 in chem HL is about 80%. In that case, you report card mark should be 96% or higher (probably 97%).

• 2 weeks later...

96+ is a 7, but after your grade has been converted. If you finished chem with an 88 after conversion (ie if you got 88 on your report card) then that corresponds to a 5. If you got an 88 before conversion, then you got a 7 as the IB boundary for a 7 in chem HL is about 80%. In that case, you report card mark should be 96% or higher (probably 97%).

Which school and who your teacher is depends on how your grades are converted. For example, my chem teacher isn't the most generous with conversions, so an 88% still might not be a 7...and there are other teachers who don't bother converting your marks at all.

• 2 weeks later...