Should i Join?

subhan100

I am a grade 8. I have applied to go to IB at colonel by and they accepted me :D But i am still very unsure whether or not i should join. Like how hard will it be. I am a straight A and A+ student. And is there a lot of homework?

I thank anybody who responds to this. As i really need to know.

Thanks i appreciate it =D

well im in my first year of IB and I'd have to say that its not as hard as the IB description says its going to be. If I had to give you some advice, take lots of notes especially if your thinking of going into the science part of IB (physics, chemistry)

• 2 weeks later...

Colonel By High School? Whoa...you live near me!

I dunno, personally I found IB quite a challenge. I think you should definitely take the pre-Ib courses and get a sense of how comfortable you feel with the material. If you think you can handle the stuff pretty well, and are up for a challenge, try IB! In the meantime, don't worry about it - take your time to make the decision :) .

• 2 weeks later...
I am a grade 8. I have applied to go to IB at colonel by and they accepted me :) But i am still very unsure whether or not i should join. Like how hard will it be. I am a straight A and A+ student. And is there a lot of homework?

I thank anybody who responds to this. As i really need to know.

Thanks i appreciate it =D

You should do it, it definitely seems worth it. But there is a lot of homework. an unholy crapload of work...

...not to scare you or anything...

...but it's much much more work than jr. high school and high school put together. Just start getting used to late nights, a coffee/mountain dew addiction, and study groups. Everyone in IB helps each other out so much that you'll be really close friends with other IB people. I'm a Junior now and I don't regret joining IB.

As for the grades, in all honesty, don't be disappointed with your first B's and C's, it's pretty much inevitable, but not as bad as it seems.

All that stuff is worth it, though. You gotta join.

You have to ask yourself if you are able to do good in all subjects. I personally can do all subjects, but I would have liked to be able to focus on science and not worry about english. I say you should try it, and if you don't like it, you can quit. Also, if you procrastinate a lot, life might be tough. Also, doubt anyone in their first year, they haven't hit the hard stuff yet.

If you do decide to take IB, stick with it. Where I live, some people take IB for a year and then drop out so that they can become valedictorian easily. It may not be your intention, but usually people that drop out of IB have a hard time getting accepted into a normal social network. It may be different for you though, the people in the traditional high school program might also be your friends from junior high.

I recommend IB because the topics are interesting. I was hoping to meet more people like myself (interested in science fiction and not necessarily grade *****, but rather going to school to learn), but instead I found a bunch of people that don't worry about actually learning the information and only about the grade at the end. I guess it's better than being bored, but either highschool route that I took would probably result in me wanting to be in college around this time (end of junior year).

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say you really need to look at your strengths critically and objectively. Are you an all-rounder? Are you organised? Are you able to think in depth (if not, TOK will mess you up for life)?

Because remember- just studying hard is not an option, as there is such a large emphasis on CAS- you can't even get your diploma without having done it.

I'm in my first year of IB, and it's quite a big jump from year 10. However, I love the general atmosphere, as supposedly there IS a possibility of everyone getting a 45, so people are willing to help each other out ^___^

Hope this helps, yeah? :mellow:

heeey

i think you should take IB but first try the pre-IB courses and see how you feel about it!!

And you should be willing to work as much as you need, and to focus on all the aspects of IB such as CAS since you dont get the diploma without it!!

hope this helps :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

i think you should take it, especially if you are an A+ student. its hard, but its challenging and many colleges don't look at you if you don't take any IB courses. plus, i've heard that college is a lot easier when you take IB courses since they prepare you for college. something to think about.