CAS Hours - Am I doomed?

Yes if you don't have enough CAS hours you fail the Diploma, although you can still get your subjects examined and receive Certificates for them individually. Most people sort out their own CAS projects - it is YOUR responsibility and not your school's to get your CAS hours, so this may underlie why other people have achieved enough and you have not. It may also inspire you to seek out your own from now on to make up the deficit.

The way to stop from failing the diploma is (obviously) to do more CAS hours. Simple!

• 2 months later...

To be very honest with you, I'm quite sure that everyone else has been "padding" their hours. We do that in our school too - basically and extra half hour here, and extra hour there etc.

What you need to do now is either go crazy and do craploads of CAS or just fake the hours. Speak to your CAS supervisor, explain to him/her that you've been doing many activities outside school but did not want to include them due to wanting to do everything in school. Then get some random people you know to sign hours for you et voila!

And yes, it's unethical, but we all "pad" our hours. If you think that you can do all 150 and still manage to be a perfect IB student then you've got some hope in hell.

Good luck!

Well, you won't get your diploma if you fail to get 150 of CAS hours. A lot of people seem to think that it's really tough to get CAS hours, when practically anything counts. I took a Creative Writing class at my school and, since it wasn't an IB class, it counted as Creativity. (Got 33 hours outta that easily, what with 90 minutes five times a week!)

I suggest looking for smaller things that you're already pretty much doing. Our class made it more difficult on ourselves than absolutely necessary. Thank goodness our coordinator set us straight!

Best wishes,

EccentricPianist

I am not sure about the new guidelines but I think according to the old CAS guidelines if a student has not completed the CAS hours his/her diploma is withheld and s/he is given an extra year in which to complete the CAS requirement. If S/he completes it in one year then the diploma is awarded. That is how I interpret it after reading the guidelines. But I am no sure if the new guidelines say the same things. Talk to your IB coordinator.

Find some weekly activity, that would be useful for revision or an activity that gives massive amounts of CAS hours, e.g. tutoring IB1's or participating in an all-week project, and add extra hours when you hand them in(multiply them by 1.5 or 2). You might make it if you really try.

Try at least once a month to get together (whether it be after school, lunch, over the weekend) with all the IB's in your grade and plan an outreach day in the community. At a place that's like a charity or somewhere that helps the community, and plan a way to spread awareness about something that might have a holiday that month or whatever comes to mind. This coming up week, my entire IB Junior class organized an Awareness Week, each day is dedicated to a different disorder or disease (Mon: Breast Cancer, Tues: Diabetes, Wed: Suicide, Thurs: Drug Free, Fri: STD), we can count meetings, selling ribbons we made, blowpops, etc., it just reaches so many things, and then we donate monies collected to the day's charity. Today is Earth Day, you could make flyers and have a day where you have flower pots or something spread around school in the classrooms to collect spare change and donations for you and other IB's to plant flowers or trees around school; with permission from IB coordinator, principals and school board of course. You could then count hours for organizing, printing flyers, contacting people, when YOU go out to collect, and then if you plant any trees or flowers. Organizing something that spans through the school is a good way to involve everyone AND get hours. :) Also, I've heard helping teachers start to pack up their rooms and organize papers and things counts, I'm doing this here and there. Think about it.