Are I-B Students Elitist?

alex_omc

This has been an issue of discussion at my school for a while. A lot of people in my school are against IB because they think we have special privelages in the school and are depriving the general education student population. Our school has a free, open-enrollment program; so, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. In other IB schools, they screen applicants and have high tuitions (in private schools).

In our school there is the same problem, the people that aren't doing IB think that we have all we can ask. There are some teachers that let us do more things than the not IB students but, there a few teachers who do it. And conversely there are a few teachers that hate us.

Ehm, it's not well recognized in my community (that's probably why we are not more than 10 students in each class), the principals and the community people find we're way too expensive but still keep the programme because it provides them money too (from incoming students from other communities). And well, other students (that actually know the programme exists) find us being elitists, and very much secluded from people outside the IB (which is true).

We're also pretty unknown, not even the students in the other programmes in my school know more than that we are much clever than everyone else and that we speak English. I also know people thinking it's bad to be taught in English, as if they think we forget our native language.

The other group of seniors at my school take AS and they all think we're elitist. It's not exactly helped by some of the IB kids rubbing IN in their faces or the fact that we're always talking about class, TOK,CAS,EE, or the most random topics you can think of, but i personally dont think we are.We just relate to each other alot more and stick within our own circle.

We only do IB at my school, and we're an international school, so in the school itself we have no one to look down on (maybe we look down on those complaining about the work load of their GCSEs, but thats it really).

However, in the country, its another story. Our school is thought of as "posh", and ever since the gvt has announced it wants IB in the public schools, it hasn't gotten any better :) .

I do think IB is a million times harder than the HSC though. With HSC all you have to do is learn by heart.

In my school, pretty much anyone who's not in IB thinks we're stuck up or elitist. I certainly think we have more challenging work than those who take non-IB courses, but I think everybody in my school is capable of doing IB, the only difference really is what classes we take and how they're run.

But yeah, whether I like it or not, I think a lot of people do consider IBers to be elitist.

I don't think IB students themselves are necessarily elitist. Instead, it's the people in the regular classes who out the IB kids and consider them elitist. IB students, as far as I know, are generally pretty accepting of others. Okay okay, so we may make the occasional joke about the other kids but it's all in good fun. I don't think we are ever really hostile. The tendency of the IB students to flock together is inevitable. Put any group of people together and the "group psyche" starts to develop.

In my school, I think eveyone thinks only the "elitest" (euphemism for the word "nerd") does IB

Since we are the first year going through IB and considering there are only 22 out of 200 students doing IB, the rest of the kids stereotype us

they often think that we cant juggle between work and social life and they give us this "your IB-so nerdy and too smart for us" look which kind of annoys me because we are nothing like that

Sometimes, there is a bit of segregation but I guess its getting much better now

Well, i go to an all girls IB school so there are no non-IB to act elite around, but one of my friends goes to a different IB school and apprently there are some IBs who do act like they are superior due to the fact that they are 'smarter'(=P) but honestly, I think that in every IB school, there will ALWAYS be someone who thinks they are superior then the normal kids.

yeah at our school out of roughly 300 people there are only about 35 of us are doing the IB. The other option is VCE which in some ways is a lot easier because they start off with unit 1 and work to unit 4. I have two classes with VCE people because they don't want us to be completely segregated. In those classes though there are a few disagreements, since in one of them I'm the only IB person. I guess some people are just jealous that they didn't choose the IB. :)

I was so tickled when I saw this topic heading. This is exactly how it is in my school. We have IB and the regular central board of education CBSE... and I dont know about anyone else, but we do 'look down' on the others a little, and we are elitist, but thats because there's about 100 kids in CBSE and only 30 in IB.

I'm not mean about it, but I tease my CBSE friends sometimes. We cant help thinking that when IB is better :) I think we do it though because our curriculum is so much harder. I mean, they justhave to get 95% in Math, Physics, and Chemistry, or whatever, and that's it-done. Into college.

Whereas we have all the extra stuff like portfolios and TOK essays nad CAS and E.E.s and IAs and IOCs and IOPs and all that...speaking of which, my IOP is in a few hours :)