maths studies + medicine = will that work?

Ollexandra

Hi, I'm choosing my subjects this year. Actually, I've already chosen before even coming to pre-IB, but now, as it all became serious I started having doubts...

What do you think of applying to med school with maths studies taken? Does any of you do that? I'm afraid I won't get a good grade with maths on SL, it just seems so complicated and I have never really been good at maths.

I don't think that combination would work well if you're applying to the UK . . . I'm pretty sure you would need at least Math SL. However, if you're applying to the US then math studies would impact your chances a little less. Are you at least taking two sciences? I would start out in Math SL at first and then drop it only if you're doing badly in it. Just remember the medical field is extremely competitive and you'll need to do what you can to stand out . . .

I don't think that combination would work well if you're applying to the UK . . . I'm pretty sure you would need at least Math SL. However, if you're applying to the US then math studies would impact your chances a little less. Are you at least taking two sciences? I would start out in Math SL at first and then drop it only if you're doing badly in it. Just remember the medical field is extremely competitive and you'll need to do what you can to stand out . . .

You don't actually need Maths SL to get into most unis in the UK. I think if you're really not that good at Maths then take it at studies level. That would be easier for you and its more likely to give you a higher point score, something which will really help you stand out at the competitive universities.

• Like 1

You don't actually need Maths SL to get into most unis in the UK. I think if you're really not that good at Maths then take it at studies level. That would be easier for you and its more likely to give you a higher point score, something which will really help you stand out at the competitive universities.

Oh well then I apologize I was told this by my college counselor though she has been known to make mistakes . . . :P

I'm taking Biology and Chemistry at HL. That's a one of the standard combinations of subjects in schools with Polish diploma, especially for those who are planning medicine, although in most universities in Poland we need to have Physics as well :(

What? You CAN takie Studies? Well... I couldn't take Maths Studies and no one could if we're taking Chemistry HL...

Consider SL, really. It's not so bad...

You have the same subjects as I want :) except for this maths. Everyone tells me to try, but I'm not even sure if I can get a good grade at studies :(

Most universities in the US and Canada require Maths SL or HL for medicine. Why not try SL? It's not that bad.

In USA medicine is a postgraduate programme so they'll hardly look at your IB subjects, rather your grades from college. I have no idea about Canada but don't you think that doing Maths HL would be taking it a bit too far? Eve Maths oriented people struggle with it, so for someone who doesn't like maths, it would be a death sentence.

Guest Lexie_

Hello! When I emailed the Jagiellonian University they informed me that mathematical studies is sufficient, so why bother taking methods? If you want, I still have the email somewhere in my inbox and I could forward it to you :) Also - I called the admission offices in Edinburgh myself and they told me that mathematical studies is sufficient for medicine, in fact, most uni´s do not really require mathematics methods as far as I know... A friend of mine has contacted the university in Bristol and they said that studies was enough, so the conclusion is - contact the uni before you decide anything, and if there is no need to take maths methods, why bother?

• 6 years later...
On 3/9/2012 at 1:09 AM, Guest Lexie_ said:

Hello! When I emailed the Jagiellonian University they informed me that mathematical studies is sufficient, so why bother taking methods? If you want, I still have the email somewhere in my inbox and I could forward it to you :) Also - I called the admission offices in Edinburgh myself and they told me that mathematical studies is sufficient for medicine, in fact, most uni´s do not really require mathematics methods as far as I know... A friend of mine has contacted the university in Bristol and they said that studies was enough, so the conclusion is - contact the uni before you decide anything, and if there is no need to take maths methods, why bother?

Can you please forward the email to me. I am planning on applying. [email protected]

thanks 

• 1 year later...