KONY 2012

cjedd27

If you haven't heard of Kony yet and what he is doing to innocent children, please take the time to watch this video. It's quite long, about 30 minutes, but trust me, it's worth your time. Together we can make a change to stop Kony in 2012. Please watch and share this video with everyone you know.

• Like 5

Agreed with the above poster. Awareness is good, but an organisation which supports the use of force to achieve its goals?! That to me raises serious ethical questions about their 'charity'. Too many people get swayed into supporting the campaign before questioning what's going on.

What's up with their CEOs getting paid 89,000 USD any ways?

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/should-i-donate-money-to-kony-2012-or-not?utm_source=facebookpage

http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

• Like 3

I understand the message and I support it but say he was captured tomorrow... then what? Would they make another video promoting all the other evil people dotted around the world? Even if he did, I do not see the USA keeping those troops in there for such a long time.

Things like this happen all the time in places like the poor parts of Africa where parents can't afford to keep their parents safe all the time or they have no parents.

So yes, it's a good cause but unfortunately it sounds like people are only just hearing about these things which makes me worry.

• Like 1

whist i was watching this video i kept thinking "what about zimbabwe?" the people here also need a lot of help..but i agree its not as bad here as it in Uganda. Kony is an evil evil man who needs to be stopped at all costs and he should die a horrible death for all the crimes he has commited and all the deaths he has caused. Men like him are definately like the reincarnation of the devil!

Lets Make A Change In The World=) and our generation is the one to do it.

KONY YOU ARE GOING DOWN!

Agreed with the above poster. Awareness is good, but an organisation which supports the use of force to achieve its goals?! That to me raises serious ethical questions about their 'charity'. Too many people get swayed into supporting the campaign before questioning what's going on.

http://www.vice.com/...ce=facebookpage

http://ilto.wordpres...sible-children/

Then, what kind of action must be taken to stop a person like this? If we were to give him the privilege of actually calling him a person. I don't see any other possible way of stoping him besides the use of force.

Jaymi, I found the article really interesting.. It is an eye-opener for all of us who believe everything that is put forward in this video. But when something like this happens and it gets this big, people will do everything they can to challenge it and criticize it!! This is inevitable.. Of course, we all know that there are hundreds of war criminals around the globe, and we know that not enough is being done to stop them. But to be honest, making a movie like this, is the ONLY way to make people further aware of it, it is the only way to actually get it out there. This movie appeals to everyone, to our children, to our parents and to our grandparents, it appeals to us in a way that the newspapers or CNN NEVER WILL BE ABLE TO DO. Of course it will not be 100 % politically correct, it will not support everyone and take into account all sides. This does not mean it is a lie.

The movie is extremely successful in raising awareness of a problem, even if it is just one man!!!! can you imagine how many teenagers are currently googling the issue, trying to get involved even if they have never cared about these things before?

just my thoughts on it :)

Then, what kind of action must be taken to stop a person like this? If we were to give him the privilege of actually calling him a person. I don't see any other possible way of stoping him besides the use of force.

Firstly, charities should never promote violence or force, this borders violating charity laws. Secondly, the question is who should use the force? Notice how the Ugandan government wasn't even mentioned once in the video? They mentioned all these celebrities and US politicians; even Condalisa Rice had her picture up! But what about the only institution which can deliver true change? Wouldn't your elected representatives have a lot of questions to answer if 100 children went missing in an arbitrary village? This just goes to show how out of touch the organisation is. So tell me now, are you going to be campaigning for the Columbian government send in troops?

Firstly, charities should never promote violence or force, this borders violating charity laws. Secondly, the question is who should use the force? Notice how the Ugandan government wasn't even mentioned once in the video? They mentioned all these celebrities and US politicians; even Condalisa Rice had her picture up! But what about the only institution which can deliver true change? Wouldn't your elected representatives have a lot of questions to answer if 100 children went missing in an arbitrary village? This just goes to show how out of touch the organisation is. So tell me now, are you going to be campaigning for the Columbian government send in troops?

Okay first of all, it's spelled Colombian* not Columbian :) Perhaps the Ugandan government was never mentioned in this video due to the fact that they have been unsuccesful in adressing counter-insurgency in their own country because there's a lack of technology and military preparation. In the video made by Invisible children you can clearly see some ugandan political representatives talking about their situation and their urge for international help, which clearly demonstrates how desperate they are to find a solution to their problem and the fact that they can stop the human right violations on their own. I bet the Ugandan government has made everything that has been possible on their hands to erradicate their problem, the things is, they have not achieved their goles, and they would probably never do it alone. Evidence of this was the fact that the War Front only changed its original starting point when US intervention took place. The institution that can deliver true change, in this circumstances, is not an African country which is unable to end the suffering of thousand of families. In response to your final question, let me shed some light on the internal situation of my country, which has been fighting in the jungle since 50 years ago an armed struggle with a communist guerrilla despite the fact that the major cities are untouchable and there has been an accentuaded economical development in the past 2 decades. Clearly, the colombian government wouldnt send troops to fight for those dissapearing children in the african world since we, ourselves, have children being kidnapped day after day by the unsergency in the borderlands with Ecuador and Venezuela, problem we have been adressing with the aid of the american government. The internal security situation of my country unables our government to take the appropiate military, technical or economical measures to end the Ugandan sufferment. Let us first end our circumstances and then we'd be willing to contribute, even if its a tiny bit, to international security situations, as we did with the Korean war. In conclusion, if the parties involved so far have not been able to end the situation in Uganda and the other countries, how can we, as an international body, let this violations keep taking place? That's why, in this criticals conditions, charities should forget the paradigm stablished against the use of violence (which is not even alleged by the Invisible Children organization, which only objective is to assure the continuation of the American involvement as a logistical mediator) and start taking some action to find a solution to this problem, which might lead finally to peace, even if it is through military means against Kony.

This is everywhere!!!

Invisible Children has been TT on twitter since yesterday. At least they are accomplishing their goal of spreading the message.

I find your opinions interesting.

When I was watching the video I was thinking "Does the problem really end if Kony is captured?"

Maybe using force to achieve the goals of the organization is not the best way to act, but what would be another realistic way of solving the problem?

I think it is great that through internet, so many people are rallying together. However I urge people to take caution when thinking of supporting an organization such as Invisible children Inc. Putting aside what ever shortcomings of the organization. Today I heard a lot of talk about 'Justice' being delivered to Kony. Justice will not help the people of Uganda. Justice will not help bring back the children who died and people who been displaced during the conflicts of Uganda. But most of all, Justice will not, I repeat will not rebuild Uganda.

There are fundamental problems that need to be solved in Uganda, such as political corruption, poverty and etc. Kony is a person who exploited the situation in Uganda, removing him means another like him will take his place. His weapons are not guns but the corruption in Uganda. I urge you not to support invisible children inc, but search around and you will find plenty of not-for-profit organizations based in and around Uganda who help solve the fundamental problems in Uganda such as poverty and illiteracy.

There is a far more effective solution than force, as I have explain above if you were to solve the problems of Uganda or even alleviate them a bit, it will be a simple matter of time before he would fall and no one can take his place.

Edited by krusader

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?! Corruption and violence in Africa?! Since when?

Okay first of all, it's spelled Colombian* not Columbian :)

On a random side-note, Columbia is an anglicised version of Colombia. 'cause Colombia is named after Christopher Columbus - whose name is indeed spelt with a 'u' in the anglicised version of it. So it's not so much a mistake as a bizarre variation.

A bit like Mallorca being called Majorca, or Menorca being called Minorca, Brasil Brazil etc..

In other news, I'm a very high level of unconvinced by the "Kony 2012" campaign. What are we doing, electing a president?! I find it a sad example of both how people's perspective can be massively skewed by the media and self-righteousness. Atrocities like this are hardly new and to be honest it's considerably more shocking how many people were apparently ignorant of them before. To hear about them again in a moralising documentary by some random american (I watched the first 4 minutes of some self-congratulatory man showing off his son...) isn't really changing my life.

If people genuinely want change, they need to step back and not go after a single man or go in with violence. There are far larger social problems at work, and sending people the link to watch a film or donating $5 to a for-profit organisation aren't the same as making a difference. If you're going to spend your money sorting these things out, spend it on worthwhile ways of doing so. Or alternatively make some positive moves yourself, rather than linking people to things and feeling like part of something or like you're helping, when in fact you've hardly moved from the backside position.

Evil men committing human rights abuses is old news and it pisses me off that people were ignorant of it before because it's extremely important to know about these things - and rather shameful that this is news to people. To me this campaign is an example of how people take great pleasure and glee from 'making a difference' through social media and being 'aware' and 'informed' when the ultimate irony is that the former only works if you have a democratic government that responds to social media (i.e. not the Ugandan government...) and that through the latter they are proving little more than the opposite, that they are uninformed. It's exceedingly easy to sit and care very hard for other people in a chair in a nice safe country. This is a very fine sentiment, but ultimately useless. Knowing that you've shared a film with your mate on twitter isn't going to make the Ugandan government think 'gosh darnit, I guess now that little Bobby has posted the video on facebook we must catch this villain!!'.

Is somebody going to start the Mugabe 2012 campaign, or the Assad 2012 campaign? Just to select two massively famous names from current news...

EDIT: Kony 2012: a humanitarian fad - this article sums up quite nicely my thoughts.

• Like 6

I do not usually care about Uganda

But when i do is 26 years later!

nothing will change by watchign a video, plus Kony has been in the most wanted list of the FBI for years, what will a video do

i am all for spreading awarness but it's a little irritating all the hypocresy

I personally feel that the Kony 2012 video forced me to change my view on things...

I had never realized that situations could be so dire in Uganda...

I felt compelled to share the video with my friends,

because even though Uganda is miles away from where I live

I felt privileged not to go through all the devastating things that the

children there were facing... and so for people like me, who take things

for granted, should really care about what happens to those

who are less fortunate than us. I do think that watching the video

will bring some changes - for example raising awareness of not only

Kony's heinous crimes but also the circumstances other African

children are in.