KONY 2012

cjedd27

LETS GO ALL TOK ON THIS!

Well, I think we've already started, with two points of view emerging. I think Kony's wrong, but to blindly believe everything invisible children is promoting would make us bad ToK students. Also, what will raising awareness really do? Okay, we know that this is happening, but how exactly is putting up posters in other parts of the world really going to help those poor kids in Uganda?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?! Corruption and violence in Africa?! Since when?

Okay first of all, it's spelled Colombian* not Columbian :)

On a random side-note, Columbia is an anglicised version of Colombia. 'cause Colombia is named after Christopher Columbus - whose name is indeed spelt with a 'u' in the anglicised version of it. So it's not so much a mistake as a bizarre variation.

Nonononono. It's a different word, I know Colombia is named after Christopher Columbus but according to the Spanish Royal Academy, it's Colombia not Columbia so it would be a mistake to call it like that. Situation that nevertheless, is commonly accepted, desguising the correct ortographical structure of the word. One does not simply changes an official country's name by referring to an anglicism. :)

Nonononono. It's a different word, I know Colombia is named after Christopher Columbus but according to the Spanish Royal Academy, it's Colombia not Columbia so it would be a mistake to call it like that. Situation that nevertheless, is commonly accepted, desguising the correct ortographical structure of the word. One does not simply changes an official country's name by referring to an anglicism. :)

One does if one is english and anglicising it XD It's not an official version, it's an anglicism.

I'm slightly joking, but I really do believe KONY 2012 is just propaganda from a controversial "non-profit" group. He's a corrupt guy, but the source is corrupt. If the world believed every well-made inciting video on the internet.....God help us. I really find it disappointing that the world can get swept up in this and think they are a revolutionary for clicking a button. Making a positive change doesn't come from a retweet, or from donating to Invisible Children. I honestly don't know what would actually help the people in Africa. Their leaders are all power hungry and savage and have been for decades.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm glad that the video has made others aware of the situation in Uganda and maybe in Africa as a whole. At least they can no longer have the excuse of being ignorant of the situation there. However I think dealing with Kony through murder and violence and mostly America's "military supervision" should not be the way to go. The Kony 2012 campaign is advocating violence in the masses and I strongly do not advocate that. Yes, I believe Kony and many other evil persons should be stopped and justice should prevail. But through other diplomatic measures, not like this. What I find it extremely disappointing is that everyone who was interested this a few months ago no longer seem to bring it up anymore. Like this is old news, or just a trend that hit for less than week and now everyone just forgets about it.

Then again, I don't know have any specific bright ideas to stop the LSA or Kony.