Sign in to follow this  

High School preparation

On American college websites they ask about ''High School Preparation'' and then they state things like ''16 units required'' and ''units include English 4, mathematics 3-4, history 4, science 3 (laboratory 2) and foreign language 2-3''

This sounds all gibberish to me. Can somebody please translate?

High School is the school you're in now basically.
It's the schooling before you enter university.

As for "units" I'm not American but I assume it's the amount of courses you've taken in each subject.
But I could be wrong.

One unit is one year of the course, usually. So this is saying you should have taken English for the last four years (which is the length of high school in USA), same with history, 3 or 4 years of math at the high school level or in the last 4 or so years, 3 years of science (I honestly don't know what lab courses mean, but I guess it means you should have some hands on experience with labs), and finally you should have 2 or 3 years of a language that is not English. This all makes a lot more sense when you are part of the system that makes it, but if you are IB diploma and had preparation before that (schooling of any type that allows you to not fail IB) then you should have everything.