Sign in to follow this  

Any Advice For First Year IB'ers?

I was wondering if the second year is supposed to be wayyy harder than first year or just a little, ( i.e. workload?)

Because I heard that they changed it or something...I heard that first year was too easy and the second was really hard. And now its both equal ( minus the amount of IA's, EA's, etc.) I don't really know..

Could anybody give me a heads up of whats coming for me in the future. hahaha

:P

I was wondering if the second year is supposed to be wayyy harder than first year or just a little, ( i.e. workload?)

Because I heard that they changed it or something...I heard that first year was too easy and the second was really hard. And now its both equal ( minus the amount of IA's, EA's, etc.) I don't really know..

Could anybody give me a heads up of whats coming for me in the future. hahaha

:P

I'm in IB1 and all my teachers credit me for being actively keen on colleges/scholarships already. Too many Secondary school students spend thinking and researching about colleges, financial aid and majors during their last year of IB - which is a little late considering that you will be overloaded with deadlines and revision, which limits ur time on research and thus you probably can't find your perfect college/major in time and have to do with the best you found - which could end up being a nightmare - I know a lot of students who hated their college a lot and desperately tried to transfer as soon as possible because they didn't put enough time into researching universities.

If you're international, then you might want to find out about Financial aid quite quickly because for some aid you have to apply well before 1 year of your college enrollment

My advice on that is, go to education fairs, go to university presentations, check out www.theu.com and www.princetonreview.com on colleges that suit your person and check the requirements to see if you're up to date in admissions, financial aid etc, standardized tests (do yourself a favour and leave yourself time to revise and do the SAT I (preferably twice), TOEFL and SAT II if you even consider going to the USA).

Try to finish your mandatory CAS by the first year - so that you don't have that burden on you in the second year (and don't tell yourself ''I'm gona do my CAS during the summer, get a feel for completing it or most of it before the end of IB1)

Work hard on your IAs. That may sound cliché but if you work hard on writing lab reports, world lits, economics commentaries etc. then you'll have a lot of stress removed from your IB2 burden.

Work on your EE during the summer. Go to TOK lessons - I'm not sure about your school, but in mine a lot of people just don't go to TOK class because they think its 'useless' - TOK isn't hard and it can either make you a) fail IB if you're not good at it or B) give you a bonus of 1, 2 or 3 points (that can make a big difference to your overall score)

Oh , thanks :) .

"If you want to get far in the IB, the best advice is to study. It’s the only thing that will help. Relying on your genius intellect and leaving things to luck and miracle is not going to help. Be persistent and devoted."

Lol, that seems like the only way to go, huh? :P

Yea, thats about it. I learnt that the hard way and had to work hard over summer to get myself up to scratch and i'm still lagging behind a bit, which is even harder with the added workload. So i suppose my advice is get on top of things right from the word go and just try as hard as you can to stay on top.

"If you want to get far in the IB, the best advice is to study. It’s the only thing that will help. Relying on your genius intellect and leaving things to luck and miracle is not going to help. Be persistent and devoted."

That's what I do, and I find that even though I might get the same or slightly lower test scores than other people I get higher finial grades because I do all my homework, get papers in on time, etc. Doing it is also for your benefit because it helps you to learn the material.

I'm still in year one, so I don't know how much harder next year will be but I imagine that it depends on your school - how many IA's you already did etc. Just keep doing what's working and fix what's not and you should be fine.

I am pretty sure on my list of priorities it's

1. Friends

2. IB

3. Exercise

4. Food/Water

And everything just falls apart from there...

Hahahaha :) :), i like how you each put food and water 3rd or 4th on your guy's priorities list. Sleep is pretty important, its what i do best hahah

"That's what I do, and I find that even though I might get the same or slightly lower test scores than other people I get higher finial grades because I do all my homework, get papers in on time, etc. Doing it is also for your benefit because it helps you to learn the material.

I'm still in year one, so I don't know how much harder next year will be but I imagine that it depends on your school - how many IA's you already did etc. Just keep doing what's working and fix what's not and you should be fine. " -Tyro

Yahh, I guess thats the only way to advance in IB, unfortuneatly, lol

lol, where to start!

definately try to get ur extended essayon the go asap..that is a huge stressor amongst the other IA's and portfolio's of yr 2.i myself are doing yr 2 atm, so i do not know everything. also make sure you stay on top of work... because at my school we get bombarded and if you miss a deadline the rest of the work following snowballs untill there is a heap. however i am finding yr 2 just like yr 1. not harder just a little more summative work

Oh , thanks :P .

Lol, that seems like the only way to go, huh? :)

To put it simply, no. My first tip is to pick smart and easy subjects - for example if you dont need Math HL for uni, don't take it. It's a huge workload and hard to score well in.

Secondly, relying on genius intellect does has worked well with me :)

1.Read all the novels for english or your language class in the summer

2.get your hands on the syllabi of your subjects before hand so you can start early/save time later on

3.If you are 100% sure of your subjects buy the course companions or at least look into them because during the year it gets really stressful and you won't have time to do research which one is good or not

If anything get your priorities right.For example you are going to study engineering in university and the subjects required are math and physics.Are you really going to devote all your time to english ?? WHen it does not play a vital role in your future studies ? It's common sense but sometimes you get a bit carried away

Hahaha thanks for the info and the heads up

To put it simply, no. My first tip is to pick smart and easy subjects - for example if you dont need Math HL for uni, don't take it. It's a huge workload and hard to score well in.

Yeah, thas why i took Math SL instead of HL because of the huge workload ( and plus...who wants to have lots of math homework hahahah :P )

Hi everyone!

I'm new to both this and IB. I'll be going to high school in about a little less than a month, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips. My sister was in IB, but that was 5 years ago. She was up very late almost every night and got little sleep. I was wondering If anyone had any useful tips about IB or jsut high school in general. Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I'm new to both this and IB. I'll be going to high school in about a little less than a month, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips. My sister was in IB, but that was 5 years ago. She was up very late almost every night and got little sleep. I was wondering If anyone had any useful tips about IB or jsut high school in general. Thanks!

Hey!!!

Welcome to IB Survival!

oh

And Welcome to High School! The best and worst 2/3 years of your life You will be stretched further and further like an elastic band.

If you manage your time efficiently, take notes diligently then you should be OK.

Seriously just do assignments/homework tasks the day they are given. That should avoid late nights. Go to sleep before midnight. Or else..

My friend didn't sleep before a Physics exam. She fell asleep in the middle of it. Take a guess on what she got for that exam.

GOOD LUCK!!

&& enjoy your summer. It would be your last IB free one in a long long time

Don't get stressed in advanced. Don't believe the hype your IBC will make. Study your group 2 language for a little each day, not a few hours once a week.

just realize that just because you are in IB doesn't mean you are smart, you still need to work

or for some people, remember school is not just about studying 24/7, if you do you will not last long

so take your pick on which one you need to keep in mind

just do your assignments the same day they give it to you. Heavily take notes during class and get as much resources as you can. Do not PROCRASTINATE. It'll kill you!