Any Advice For First Year IB'ers?

ibkid

I was wondering if the second year is supposed to be wayyy harder than first year or just a little, ( i.e. workload?)

Because I heard that they changed it or something...I heard that first year was too easy and the second was really hard. And now its both equal ( minus the amount of IA's, EA's, etc.) I don't really know..

Could anybody give me a heads up of whats coming for me in the future. hahaha

:P

Oh , thanks :) .

"If you want to get far in the IB, the best advice is to study. It’s the only thing that will help. Relying on your genius intellect and leaving things to luck and miracle is not going to help. Be persistent and devoted."

Lol, that seems like the only way to go, huh? :P

Yea, thats about it. I learnt that the hard way and had to work hard over summer to get myself up to scratch and i'm still lagging behind a bit, which is even harder with the added workload. So i suppose my advice is get on top of things right from the word go and just try as hard as you can to stay on top.

"If you want to get far in the IB, the best advice is to study. It’s the only thing that will help. Relying on your genius intellect and leaving things to luck and miracle is not going to help. Be persistent and devoted."

That's what I do, and I find that even though I might get the same or slightly lower test scores than other people I get higher finial grades because I do all my homework, get papers in on time, etc. Doing it is also for your benefit because it helps you to learn the material.

I'm still in year one, so I don't know how much harder next year will be but I imagine that it depends on your school - how many IA's you already did etc. Just keep doing what's working and fix what's not and you should be fine.

Hahahaha :) :), i like how you each put food and water 3rd or 4th on your guy's priorities list. Sleep is pretty important, its what i do best hahah

"That's what I do, and I find that even though I might get the same or slightly lower test scores than other people I get higher finial grades because I do all my homework, get papers in on time, etc. Doing it is also for your benefit because it helps you to learn the material.

I'm still in year one, so I don't know how much harder next year will be but I imagine that it depends on your school - how many IA's you already did etc. Just keep doing what's working and fix what's not and you should be fine. " -Tyro

Yahh, I guess thats the only way to advance in IB, unfortuneatly, lol

lol, where to start!

definately try to get ur extended essayon the go asap..that is a huge stressor amongst the other IA's and portfolio's of yr 2.i myself are doing yr 2 atm, so i do not know everything. also make sure you stay on top of work... because at my school we get bombarded and if you miss a deadline the rest of the work following snowballs untill there is a heap. however i am finding yr 2 just like yr 1. not harder just a little more summative work

Oh , thanks :P .

Lol, that seems like the only way to go, huh? :)

To put it simply, no. My first tip is to pick smart and easy subjects - for example if you dont need Math HL for uni, don't take it. It's a huge workload and hard to score well in.

Secondly, relying on genius intellect does has worked well with me :)

1.Read all the novels for english or your language class in the summer

2.get your hands on the syllabi of your subjects before hand so you can start early/save time later on

3.If you are 100% sure of your subjects buy the course companions or at least look into them because during the year it gets really stressful and you won't have time to do research which one is good or not

If anything get your priorities right.For example you are going to study engineering in university and the subjects required are math and physics.Are you really going to devote all your time to english ?? WHen it does not play a vital role in your future studies ? It's common sense but sometimes you get a bit carried away

Hahaha thanks for the info and the heads up

To put it simply, no. My first tip is to pick smart and easy subjects - for example if you dont need Math HL for uni, don't take it. It's a huge workload and hard to score well in.

Yeah, thas why i took Math SL instead of HL because of the huge workload ( and plus...who wants to have lots of math homework hahahah :P )

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone!

I'm new to both this and IB. I'll be going to high school in about a little less than a month, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips. My sister was in IB, but that was 5 years ago. She was up very late almost every night and got little sleep. I was wondering If anyone had any useful tips about IB or jsut high school in general. Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I'm new to both this and IB. I'll be going to high school in about a little less than a month, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips. My sister was in IB, but that was 5 years ago. She was up very late almost every night and got little sleep. I was wondering If anyone had any useful tips about IB or jsut high school in general. Thanks!

Hey!!!

Welcome to IB Survival!

oh

And Welcome to High School! The best and worst 2/3 years of your life You will be stretched further and further like an elastic band.

If you manage your time efficiently, take notes diligently then you should be OK.

Seriously just do assignments/homework tasks the day they are given. That should avoid late nights. Go to sleep before midnight. Or else..

My friend didn't sleep before a Physics exam. She fell asleep in the middle of it. Take a guess on what she got for that exam.

GOOD LUCK!!

&& enjoy your summer. It would be your last IB free one in a long long time

• 2 weeks later...

just realize that just because you are in IB doesn't mean you are smart, you still need to work

or for some people, remember school is not just about studying 24/7, if you do you will not last long

so take your pick on which one you need to keep in mind

in additrion to everything else that people have siad above... i want to stress the imortance of not over stressing. it is bad bad bad!!!! if you need a break for just a minute take it for yourself! i have seen people fall apart (myself included) in over stressing form IB... sorry but it just isn't worth it.