Bombed IOP - can I still get a 7?

amohield

I like to think of myself as decent at HL English - I'm scoring steady 6's, it seems, on all my assignments; the 7's are still out of reach only because I'm still getting the hang of remembering to quote and analyze language more.

That said, I went and got a 5 on my IOP. This was still the first couple of months and I hadn't really adjusted - I'm a lot less lazy now. I had basically prepared really poorly and half-improvised my IOP, not to mention I ran over by about 15 minutes. It just was not my day. :(

But I've been told that you cannot redo IOPs - it's a one-time thing. If I had known, maybe I wouldn't have screwed it up. *sigh*

Anyway, my question is: Is there still a fair chance of getting a 7 in HL English? I want realism, please - I hear that it's quite difficult to and that the IOP/IOC are the more easy marks (*gulp*). I am getting 6's on my unseen commentaries right now though, and I think I can get them up to solid 7's. What do you all think?

Ahmed

Edited by amohield

Yes of course you can still get a 7 in HL English!

I'm not exactly sure how the new syllabus works, but you will still have your world literature assignment(s?), IOC, and the exam itself. Although you're right that the IOP isn't that hard, the IOC isn't that bad either. Make sure you do extremely well on this, and in the actual exam do spectacular! If you continue to do well in English you can make up for a bad IOP.

And don't be silly. A 5 isn't that bad of a score. You shouldn't have a problem minimizing this if you do well on your other components.

Good luck! I wish I could score as well as you are doing. :)