New MYP sub-forum

HiggsHunter

I should like to say "thank you" to marauder7 and others for suggesting that a sub-forum be created for the discussion of MYP matters, and to our helpful IBS administrators for providing it here. I understand that the title "Pre-IB/MYP" is to encourage the discussion of the courses offered by all schools that prepare students for the IB DP years, as well as those actually implementing the official IB MYP programme.

Edited by HiggsHunter
  • Like 1

Hello,

I am doing MYP 5 now and also recently got my PP marks back (got a 7 oh yeah!)

Anyways my year is the biggest year in my school and because the school grows every grade every year (as in next year we will be the first students to start the IB Diploma) IB representatives will come to our school next month to authorise the DP.

They asked my school to talk with a few students about how they feel about the diploma next year and so I'm supposed to speak with them. I also finished choosing my subjects for the DP. If you have any questions about the MYP would be happy to answer them (though I find it hard to believe you would :P).

Edited by gonengg
  • Like 1

Bravo for your PP score, gonengg! May I ask what subject you chose?

I hope that your DP authorisation goes without a hitch. Our school is also quite a young one, having opened its doors with 13 students in 1993. It is still growing, and is now attended by 650 boys and girls of over 40 different nationalities. It was authorised to run the MYP from April 2002, and the DP from May 2004. Both programmes are taught in English and French.

In 2010 the school applied for accreditation by the Council of International Schools, and a team of eleven CIS inspectors is visiting all this week to observe the school in action and to meet representative groups of students, staff and parents. We should hear the result in a few months' time, after the CIS Executive Committee has had the opportunity to assess the visiting team's report.

• Like 1

Thank you!

I chose: Economics HL, History HL and English HL as well as Math SL, Physics SL and Chinese B SL. Our school has been preparing 3 years (since the start of the school) for this day and without doubt will it get authorised. Since its a K-Y13 (well in two years it will be up to year 13) school it already offers the PYP and MYP. So far I think the MYP prepares you for the IB although, from what I heard, you cannot compare the two in difficulty.

From 13 students to 650 is a massive transition! Good luck with the CIS visit and hopefully your school will be accepted smoothly. May I ask, out of curiosity, what are the benefits of being a member of the Council of International Schools (besides the prestigiousness that comes with it of course!) ?

Edited by gonengg

Actually I was referring to your MYP PP subject, but that's an interesting set of DP choices. Are many students at your school taking Chinese B SL?

The CIS defines standards and provides services to member schools that strive to provide an international education. There is some accreditation information at http://www.cois.org/page.cfm?p=3

The most immediate aspect is that as part of the CIS accreditation process, our IB school has had to submit several very comprehensive self-study reports over the last 18 months. The visiting team is now investigating all aspects of the school's operations, from observing classes and holding discussions to examining the teaching materials and facilities available. This external professional assessment should help the school management make changes in the areas that require improvement, to the benefit of students as well a staff.

• Like 1

Hello,

Anyways my year is the biggest year in my school and because the school grows every grade every year (as in next year we will be the first students to start the IB Diploma) IB representatives will come to our school next month to authorise the DP.

They asked my school to talk with a few students about how they feel about the diploma next year and so I'm supposed to speak with them. I also finished choosing my subjects for the DP. If you have any questions about the MYP would be happy to answer them (though I find it hard to believe you would :P).

Nice dude. congrats :D i got the same score :D

cool. hope everything goes well with the authorization. Shouldn't be much of a problem though from what it sounds like.

I chose: Economics HL, History HL and English HL as well as Math SL, Physics SL and Chinese B SL.

Just wondering, what career path does that lead to? A history degree or something? Can't figure it out :|

Hello,

Nice dude. congrats :D i got the same score :D

cool. hope everything goes well with the authorization. Shouldn't be much of a problem though from what it sounds like.

I chose: Economics HL, History HL and English HL as well as Math SL, Physics SL and Chinese B SL.

Just wondering, what career path does that lead to? A history degree or something? Can't figure it out :|

That's actually a pretty common HL combination for a degree in law or something like that.

Actually more towards an Economics, Businesses or International Relations degree. Haven't decided which one exactly yet but somewhere between those three.

I'm guessing from the subjects you took you're aiming for a medical degree :D.

Edited by gonengg

Actually more towards an Economics, Businesses or International Relations degree. Haven't decided which one exactly yet but somewhere between those three.

I'm guessing from the subjects you took you're aiming for a medical degree :D.

Oh okay. Yeah law crossed my mind, but I thought you would need philosophy or something :P

and yeah, I'm aiming for medicine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The CIS defines standards and provides services to member schools that strive to provide an international education. There is some accreditation information at http://www.cois.org/page.cfm?p=3

The most immediate aspect is that as part of the CIS accreditation process, our IB school has had to submit several very comprehensive self-study reports over the last 18 months. The visiting team is now investigating all aspects of the school's operations, from observing classes and holding discussions to examining the teaching materials and facilities available. This external professional assessment should help the school management make changes in the areas that require improvement, to the benefit of students as well a staff.

The accreditation team from the Council of International Schools has finished its work, and we now have to await the arrival of their report, which is first submitted to the CIS Board for consideration. So we won't receive official notification regarding the accreditation status, or a copy of the report itself, for a month or two.

In his closing remarks the chairman complimented the school on its approach to internationalism and bilingualism, both within the curriculum and in its other activities. It seems the team members enjoyed the time they spent with the students, parents, teachers and administrators, allowing them to better interpret the information contained in the self-study reports that they had already received in January. Some of them even said that they would be happy to send their own children to the school! At present there are 10 CIS-accredited schools in Switzerland running the IB MYP, and 21 running the DP. Hopefully there will soon be one more.

Edited by HiggsHunter

The accreditation team from the Council of International Schools has finished its work, and we now have to await the arrival of their report, which is first submitted to the CIS Board for consideration. So we won't receive official notification regarding the accreditation status, or a copy of the report itself, for a month or two.

In his closing remarks the chairman complimented the school on its approach to internationalism and bilingualism, both within the curriculum and in its other activities. It seems the team members enjoyed the time they spent with the students, parents, teachers and administrators, allowing them to better interpret the information contained in the self-study reports that they had already received in January. Some of them even said that they would be happy to send their own children to the school! At present there are 10 CIS-accredited schools in Switzerland running the IB MYP, and 21 running the DP. Hopefully there will soon be one more.

Cool. Hope things work out well for your school and it gets fully accredited. Sounds like things went really well though. Keep us posted :D

• Like 1