can i get into a good university?

LiquidSnake

hi, i have a 2.85 GPA, but i am a full ib candidate, is there a chance to get into a decent or good university?

that isn't not the worlds greatest GPA. is it wiegted or unwieighted?

you are in the US so i am assuming that you are going to a US uni. if you have ECs, and a really good SAT/ ACT score, and do really well on you IB exams that can make up for that. you GPA will help yu with scholarships. but i would work on brining up tthat GPA. you can get into a good school, but it will be much much harder.

Honestly, that GPA is on the weak side (I'm assuming this is weighted, but even UW would mean that you have a couple Cs - not very cute), but it might help if you have high SAT/ACT, amazing ECs and are of the 'right' race and geographical location. It also depends on the school you're hoping for - lots of big state schools have GPA/SAT formulae which will hurt you a lot with the 2.85.

You would be admitted to college/university in March/April of your IB2 year, so most colleges don't see your 'real' IB test scores, and a lot of them don't care what the scores are as far as admissions go, so your best bet is to bring up that GPA.

NO you cant get into a good or decent college why dont you just drop IB and take normal level classes IB isnt the only option in life..... people always ask the admissions deans whats better an A in a standard class or a B in a harder class.... well the answer is A in a harder class duh....

What is GPA based on? Average grades?

see here: http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1508

it stands for grade ponit average, and it is just the average grade for the years that you have been attending your current school. i believe you don't get a GPA if the school you are attending a school you have been with them for less than a year. many international students also seem not to have one.

Many schools who do IB outside of the US do not have GPA as IB is out of a 7 point scale while GPA is out of 4. Of course in some schools there are various ways of converting it. Personally I think colleges view 7 as A to A+, 6 as B - A, 5 as B - C and 4 as C - D and 3 or below is F. So if you get straight 6s and 7s, I think you are comparable to a student with 3.8 UW GPA

• 3 weeks later...

me?

i got into a good school here. i am going to a state school here, and then to mexico for however long i fell like staying there.

but if you are talking to liquidsnake... i think that they can get into a decent uni here f they d some work, and do really well with thier IB exams.

Edited by IBStuck

• 2 weeks later...
i have a 3.95 GPA and that is with 2 Cs, and one of my classes predicted me at a 2-3 (i really hate chem HL.. i was supposed to take SL) so that doesn't always work.

I'm hatttttting chem HL too!! If you were predicted a 2-3 doesn't that mean you fail? I'm predicted a 3 right now (I'm in IB year 1) Does this mean you can't get into universities/pass IB?

• 1 month later...

There are many factors beside GPA that go into determining if you qualify for a good university, or not:

SAT/ACT scores.

Teacher recommendations.

AP scores (though not mandatory criteria).

Extracurriculars.

Those are just a few factors. The best thing to do is do some college searching! Collegeboard.com and Princetonreview.com have some great college matchmaking engines. Check them out. Once you have a tentative list of colleges, look at the school websites and profiles (on Collegeboard or Princetonreview) and see what factors they consider important or not.