Math HL extended

Aditya Subramanian

Complex Numbers

Logs

Extending logarithms to the field of complex numbers? :P Although I doubt you could write 4000 words on that, it might be somewhere to start. Or perhaps write about the matrix exponential and discuss taking the logarithm of a matrix.

Problem is we haven't done matrices in school and I dont know when we gonna do them

If you have spare time and are interested you could always learn on your own. There are tons of linear algebra videos on Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare. Neither of them is extremely rigorous/proofy, although MIT seems to be slightly more in that direction.

Of course that's just one idea, but (according to what I've heard), the hardest part of a Math EE is finding a good topic.

Logs of Complex numbers sounds interesting though

Like I said, you'll want to find a way of extending that further because I doubt you'll be able to write 4000 words on just that.

And sorry, I don't have any specific examples for you, but a Google search should find you plenty of good examples.

I swear I just read an article on that and I saw the graph of log in argand diagram! but anyway...

you serious? well I've got a few concerns for you to consider before choosing that topic. not that you can't do your EE on that, but there are just a few concerns and I personally wouldn't suggest writing on this topic. here goes:

firstly it's too narrow, unless you're going really deeply. and it's outside of the IB Maths HL syllabus. not that it has to be in the syllabus, BUT it just means that you'll have to learn this on your own. this brings up further problems.

you're likely to find that all the things you want to investigate can be found on books or on the internet. so you'll have to be really careful to avoid being accused of plagiarism. and you might feel like there's nothing else to investigate because everything investigatable you've already read on books/online. so you got to think hard if you want to present something new.

remember that the examiner is likely to have a masters degree or PhD in maths, so they might think that your EE is nothing new to them. and you have to be really careful and make sure you actually understand this stuff, cuz they will know if you write wrong explanation or wrong concepts. if you're not sure of some stuff, then ask your teacher to explain it to you, rather than assuming things and getting it wrong.

the biggest deal, though, I think, is that if your essay seems too sophisticated then the examiner might fear that you're getting help from somebody and so it's not your own work. my supervisor told me this before. she said this has ever happened.

and, I'm afraid your essay is likely to just be theoretical. my supervisor advised me to go for something applicable in real life. perhaps that allows you to expand your investigation so you can write close to 4k words although there's no actual word limit for maths EEs.

have you talked to your supervisor about your plan? s/he might know better if that topic is suitable.

do you like calculus btw? I suggest that you keep looking into other areas of maths esp calculus cuz I think there are many real life problems related to calculus so you can write on that. or, probability sounds great too.

• Like 1