Waterloo - Weight given to contest scores?

aldld

So, on the Waterloo website, I read that they strongly recommend that applicants participate in their math and computing contests. But does anybody know how much weight is given to the actual scores?

The reason I ask is because I did the Canadian Computing Competition (senior) back in February and I did absolutely horribly. Like 3/75. I could partially blame it on technical difficulties (the computer I did it on had tons of quirks and the new online marking system also had some problems) but I'd say it was mainly due to stress (it happens). (Actually, I looked over the problems afterwards and realized that they were not that bad)

Also, do they only look at the most recent contest score? Because I did do the contest the previous year and ranked 29th overall (out of 1011 contestants).

• 2 weeks later...

As long as your grades are what they need to be, you will get in. They look at contest scores largely because of scholarships and advanced classes.

Hmm, good to know. At least, I hope that that is true. I guess for now I should focus on improving my grades anyway, and as for contests, there's always next year.